Everybody knows that!

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Re: Everybody knows that!

Post by Digit »

while both max and minimum temps drop, the average temp doesn't necessarily drop as well.
I didn't suggest that actually...
there are ways for the average to drop without either falling.
...that's all I said.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Longer winters Min.

Which would increase the number of cold days and decrease the number of warm days.... unless you have different kinds of winters in the UK.

Which is always possible!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

It would indeed Min, but my point was that winters need to be no colder and summer temps need not fall.
Here they are rabbiting on about cold winters, but the records show that we have a series of cold winters about every 20 yrs or so.
The records here only started in 1910!
The North Atlantic Drift is reputed to have stopped, 'for the first time in history!,' like we started monitoring it in 1974!
There was a climatologist on BBC news last night and he informed us that solar activity is currently very low, that the Pacific temps were down, also the Atlantic temps and that the Jet Stream was currently weak.
Much to my amazement he stated in words of one syllable that they could not predict what the next few months would be like as neither they nor their computers could handle so many variables.
An honest statement for a change, especially as our Met Office stated in their Blog last September that there was a 60 to 80 per cent chance of above average temps this wnter!
They are now trying to deny it and are claiming that the government was informed of the likelyhood of a cold winter in October and that they will no longer publish longer term reports as they are fed up with people taking the piss 'cos they keeping it badly wrong.
Big Ahhh! for the Met Office.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:There was a climatologist on BBC news last night and he informed us that solar activity is currently very low,
These assholes should be forced by law to agree on something before they make frivolous public statements. Because 'your' climatologist's story is 180 degrees different from this one:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/96072/2 ... -south.htm
Digit

Post by Digit »

Except that that is not the 'solar activity' to which they refer of course.
Mind you your general conclusion ain't far wrong.
I posted this elsewhere...

I note Dorts that the Met Office is supposed to be saying that they informed the government in October of the probability of a cold winter.
Strange, a few weeks earlier their Net page was forecasting the probability of an above averagely warm winter!
Apparently they have now stopped publishing the longer term forecasts 'cos they are upset at the ridicule they have received for being too often wrong.
'I know something you don't know, not telling you, so there!

...so if they are keeping their forecasts to themselves I think it reasonable to ask what we are paying them for!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

The 2010 hurricane season in the Caribean was also forecast to be a heavy one.

It wasn't...