Bin Laden

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Bin Laden

Post by Digit »

Well done America!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Bin Laden

Post by Minimalist »

Largely symbolic but yeah....it had to be done.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Symbolic? Yeah! But also justice for his many victims.
I'm waiting to see who will be the first to moan that his 'execution' was illegal, so what!
Obama is probably wrong that the world is a safer place now, but it is certainly cleaner!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Post by Digit »

Muslims interviewed over here are refusing to believe it, expect to here of him doing a gig with Elvis any day now!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So now there is no point at all in staying in Afghanistan, I guess.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Not really Min, we are only delaying the inter tribal slaughter that passes for entertainment there.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah - time to step aside.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

The differences in terminology may make the joke less obvious Min but there's a joke here that the Americans have demonstrated that you can get a rubbish bin taken out during a public holiday!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah - there's that old "the British and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language" thing again!

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep! If an explanation is required over there, it is as follows.
Taking out the rubbish bin is equivalent to your putting out the trash for collection, and yesterday was 'May Day' with no public workers on call.
There's another joke claiming that Bin Laden was greeted in paradise by 72 Vegans rather than virgins due to spelling errors in the orders!

Roy.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

So it seems it's just me that got a cold chill down the spine when I heard about Americans celebrating over the cold blooded murder of an unarmed man, in front of his wife, and his body being tipped unceremoniously into the sea, with not even the merest suggestion of a court trial to determine his guilt, and all to get a president, whose ratings are slumping, in with a better chance of re-election?

This murder will not stop Al Qaeda, the design of which is purpose built to survive the death of any one person. Instead, Obama and his people have made Bin Laden a 'martyr', and there will be many many angry young men out now to avenge his 'martyrdom'.

There is such a thing as the Geneva Convention ~ and this is not about whether or not Bin Laden himself would have honoured the Geneva Convention. This is not about who he is or was. It is about who we are. Every man is entitled to the rule of the law and a fair trial ~ otherwise we will quickly descend to the barbaric. Today they're topping Bin Laden, but tomorrow, it could be you or me.

Al-Qaeda were on the back foot anyway. The Arab Uprising owes little to them, and its success would have rendered AQ's cause virtually redundant. Now, in one fell swoop, Obama has breathed new life into Al-Qaeda, by making a 'martyr' of their leader, and all to get himself re-elected.

If they were serious about world peace, all they needed to do was arrest Bin Laden, and bundle him off to the Hague where they would have been able to easily nail him, fair and square, with the evidence of his computer hard drive.

And no, the Americans won’t be coming out of Afghanistan any time soon, because they have to help shore up the regime of one of the most corrupt leaders on the world stage today from the threat of the Taliban in order to protect their oil interests.

So well done America, the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Exactly what purpose would a trial have served Ish?
Cold blooded murder? I wasn't there so I couldn't say that. Unarmed? Possibly, how was anyone to know before the event?
If Bin Laden wanted 'civilised' treatment he should have extended same to his victims, as ye sow so shalt ye reap.
He got justice!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah, I'm not going to shed any tears for him, Ish. I agree with Digit. A 'trial' would serve no purpose other than to serve as a rallying point for other whack jobs. He had issued enough statements on the event to assure his guilt.

He who lives by the sword dies by the sword....to get all biblical and everything.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

And if anybody was going to put his foot in it and be out of touch with the majority view it would have to be the Right Reverend Rowan Williams!
That man was born with his foot in his mouth methinks!

Roy.
jw1815

Post by jw1815 »

Digit wrote:And if anybody was going to put his foot in it and be out of touch with the majority view it would have to be the Right Reverend Rowan Williams!
That man was born with his foot in his mouth methinks!

Roy.
What did he say? Haven't been reading the Guardian for a while to get my UK news.