The Fall of Civilizations

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Frank Harrist

The Fall of Civilizations

Post by Frank Harrist »

I think that civilizations fall because people finally come to realize that civilization sux unless you're one of the elite...the rich people, the aristocrats. The lower class realizes that it's existence is solely for the purpose of making the upper class more and more confortable and ever more powerful. The elite lose touch with the common man and begin to feel that they are somehow more than human, more than these peasants they control. Eventually the lower class gets fed up with this situation and they just walk away from it all and drop off the grid, so to speak, leaving the former upper class to fend for themselves. That's how civilizations die. I can see it happening now.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: The Fall of Civilizations

Post by Minimalist »

Happy New Year, Frank.

Certainly that's part of it but for a true change in an entire civilization there has to be something to take its place. It seems that revolutions tend to re-create a semblance of what existed before because, let's face it, humans are not very imaginative.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

I'm thinking of the Maya and nations like that that just sort of petered out. I think the people just got fed up and walked away. They went back to nature, back to a simple life living off the land and depending on no government for nothing. Every family went to it's own little microcosm of existence independent from the nation as a whole. With nobody to wipe their asses for them the elite were forced to do the same or starve to death and I'm sure many of them
did starve.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

Frank Harrist wrote: Every family went to it's own little microcosm of existence independent from the nation as a whole. With nobody to wipe their asses for them the elite were forced to do the same or starve to death and I'm sure many of them
did starve.

Then the indepenent family was picked on by a "big man " and his chums who eventually became one type of "elite " until the independant families organised themselves to combat this thus creating another elite and embers of another civilisation .

George
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

And the deadly cycle continues.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm thinking of the Maya and nations like that that just sort of petered out.
There is still a lot of speculation about what happened to the Maya.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Yeah that's just me speculatin'.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

In Collapse, Jared Diamond lays most of the blame on environmental things.

But he admits there are many reasons for the environmental problems.
Some top down, some bottom up, and some shared by the various parts of the local society.

Some societies became so top heavy that the “working class” couldn’t support it any more and either rebelled or “voted with their feet” and faded away.

Sometimes the “working class” ignored the enlightened advice if the higher placed and better educated who had a longer point of view if the problems.

And sometimes the warning signs were ignored by all involved.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

"enlightened advice if the higher placed and better educated "
BULLSHIT!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Frank Harrist wrote:"enlightened advice if the higher placed and better educated "
BULLSHIT!

Uh, yeah... as in " You lot keep picking that there cotton while we sit up here in the manor house having our mint julips."

Eventually, that gets old.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Screw the 1%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You sound like me.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

“enlightened advice if the higher placed and better educated "

I threw that out to see who would take the bait.
If any of you have one semester beyond 12th grade gradation you have more “education” than I do.

But it wasn’t my idea, it was Diamonds.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Well, I didn't think you were like that, KBS (sorry, I can't remember your name), but that remark really pissed me off. I'm glad you were not serious. I was ready to lead the lynch mob. We don't need no stinkin' bankers! (or any other rich fat cat assholes.)