It's too quiet here...

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Re: It's too quiet here...

Post by circumspice »

Farpoint wrote:HELLO MCFLY, ANYONE HOME

Good grief, I'm going to sit here and have something to eat, read a few papers, and proceed to consume adult beverages. Given enough time my responses may prove to be entertaining, we'll see.

edit: What happened to cause "Most users ever online was 146 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 pm"?

edit#2: Does anyone have a copy of:

Archaeological investigations of site 44SX202, Cactus Hill, Sussex County, Virginia (Nottoway River Survey Archaeological Research report)
by Joseph M McAvoy (Paperback) 1976

that I could borrow long enough to scan for a pdf?

Wasn't that the date of the international announcement concerning the positive identification of Hatshepsut's mummy?
I can't remember, I've slept since then... :?

Edit: Yup, it was...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6244516.stm

'Find of century' for Egyptology
Wednesday 27th of June 2007, 10:27
related countries: Egypt Egypt

Egyptologists say they have identified the 3,000-year-old mummy of Egypt's most powerful female ruler.
Read the full article » | View on the map »
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Interesting, Thank you.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right question.

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
John Strong Newberry; 1873
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I found several references to McAvoy's paper online but not the paper itself. 1976 predates the web by a little too much, I guess.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Minimalist wrote:I found several references to McAvoy's paper online but not the paper itself. 1976 predates the web by a little too much, I guess.
I have every paper and book that is available except the main one. The book is 181 pages including appendices, and it is not available anywhere; Amazon, Abebooks, Biblio, etc. Anybook, which charges outrageous prices, does not even offer it. The closest library that may have it, it is in their "stacks", is five hours away with no guarantee that it could be retrieved. So, this is why I ask.

Thanks Min.

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"McAvoy, Joseph M.
1997 Archaeological Investigations of site 44SX202, Cactus Hill, Sussex County, Virginia. Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Research Report Series No. 8., Richmond"

There is a web site for the Virginia Department of Historic Resources.

http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/homepage_fe ... tactUs.htm

Couldn't hurt to ask.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

I did.

Out of print.

Thanks again

Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Minimalist wrote:I found several references to McAvoy's paper online but not the paper itself. 1976 predates the web by a little too much, I guess.
Not only that but it predates its publication by twenty years. Sorry, I fixed my typo, it is 1996 not 1976.

Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

It's raining here, yeah, it has been a dry summer!

Hey Min, you up yet?

Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

It has been quiet, but I finished reading "The Human Ecology of Beringia" by Hoffecker and Elias. They convinced me of two things, other than bison, mega mammals were absent, and no one walked through the "ice free corridor" to the south, but they were coming up from there during the latest Pleistocene.

I am now reading "Folsum" by D.J. Meltzer, I like his writing style and the references will keep me busy for a long time.

May I suggest two possible subjects for discussion?

J.J. Hester

or

F. H.H. Roberts

If anyone is interested.

Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

"Folsom" is a great read, wow.