Aaron Swartz Suicide

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

uniface

Aaron Swartz Suicide

Post by uniface »

. . . Early on, and to its great credit, JSTOR figured “appropriate” out: They declined to pursue their own action against Aaron, and they asked the government to drop its. MIT, to its great shame, was not as clear, and so the prosecutor had the excuse he needed to continue his war against the “criminal” who we who loved him knew as Aaron.

Here is where we need a better sense of justice, and shame. For the outrageousness in this story is not just Aaron. It is also the absurdity of the prosecutor’s behavior. From the beginning, the government worked as hard as it could to characterize what Aaron did in the most extreme and absurd way. The “property” Aaron had “stolen,” we were told, was worth “millions of dollars” — with the hint, and then the suggestion, that his aim must have been to profit from his crime. But anyone who says that there is money to be made in a stash of ACADEMIC ARTICLES is either an idiot or a liar. It was clear what this was not, yet our government continued to push as if it had caught the 9/11 terrorists red-handed.

Aaron had literally done nothing in his life “to make money.” He was fortunate Reddit turned out as it did, but from his work building the RSS standard, to his work architecting Creative Commons, to his work liberating public records, to his work building a free public library, to his work supporting Change Congress/FixCongressFirst/Rootstrikers, and then Demand Progress, Aaron was always and only working for (at least his conception of) the public good. He was brilliant, and funny. A kid genius. A soul, a conscience, the source of a question I have asked myself a million times: What would Aaron think? That person is gone today, driven to the edge by what a decent society would only call bullying. I get wrong. But I also get proportionality. And if you don’t get both, you don’t deserve to have the power of the United States government behind you.

For remember, we live in a world where the architects of the financial crisis regularly dine at the White House — and where even those brought to “justice” never even have to admit any wrongdoing, let alone be labeled “felons.”

In that world, the question this government needs to answer is why it was so necessary that Aaron Swartz be labeled a “felon.” For in the 18 months of negotiations, that was what he was not willing to accept, and so that was the reason he was facing a million dollar trial in April — his wealth bled dry, yet unable to appeal openly to us for the financial help he needed to fund his defense, at least without risking the ire of a district court judge. And so as wrong and misguided and fucking sad as this is, I get how the prospect of this fight, defenseless, made it make sense to this brilliant but troubled boy to end it.

Fifty years in jail, charges our government. Somehow, we need to get beyond the “I’m right so I’m right to nuke you” ethics that dominates our time. That begins with one word: Shame.
http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/403474630 ... r-as-bully
Ernie L

Mean while

Post by Ernie L »

Jon Corzine is still free still a free man...Billions missing ...no charges....
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/jon-corzi ... imminently.

You read about these wall street billions evaporating at it does not seem like it has any effect on your world..sort of like a 4000 mile wide hurricane on Jupiter or something.

...but I met one of his victims a couple of weeks ago...a working stiff who has lost 80% of his retirement investments...either he is going to have to work till he drops or try to live on meager fixed social security benefits. I'm guessing he works till he drops...mean while Jon the political contribution bundler and investment bungler is still a millionaire.
Regards Ernie
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Aaron Swartz Suicide

Post by Minimalist »

Bankers own the lawmakers, Ernie.

http://maxkeiser.com/2012/03/07/george- ... r-bankers/

George Carlin can explain it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

Minimalist wrote:Bankers own the lawmakers, Ernie.

http://maxkeiser.com/2012/03/07/george- ... r-bankers/

George Carlin can explain it.
he was unique was he not.....it's jarring to hear him talk about our pretend democracy..I miss my naive days .
Regards Ernie
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He was the best at what he did.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

uniface

Post by uniface »

And with that in mind, maybe some of these questions :

http://rt.com/usa/news/aaron-swartz-fun ... icago-059/

start gravitating toward answers.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Aaron did not commit suicide but was killed by the government,” Robert Swartz
Sounds like a father looking for an excuse. Suicide is hardly uncommon in that age group.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/technol ... index.html
The suicide last week of Aaron Swartz, a prominent Internet developer and activist, is sparking a discussion in Startupland about an issue that's rarely publicized: the prevalence of depression in the tech community.

Swartz struggled for years with the mental health disorder, and wrote about it occasionally in his blog. "I feel ashamed to have an illness," he wrote in a 2007 post. "It sounds absurd, but there still is an enormous stigma around being sick."

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Every adolescent and post-adolescent has bouts of insecurity and anxiety.

So the real problem was that he -- (as his family and friends testify) occasionally -- drifted toward the edge.

Not that somebody pushed him over it.

Or like there's anything like a pattern here or anything --
One of the prosecutors in the case of the online pioneer who killed himself this weekend, Aaron Swartz, was accused in 2008 of driving another hacker to suicide.

Some of Swartz's friends have accused Assistant United States Attorney Stephen Heymann of contributing to Swartz's suicide.

Back in 2008, another young hacker, Jonathan James, killed himself after being named a suspect in another Heymann case.

James, the first juvenile put into confinement for a federal cybercrime case, was found dead was two weeks after the Secret Service raided his house as part of its investigation of the TJX hacker case led by Heymann — the largest personal identity hack in history. He was thought to be "JJ," the unindicted co-conspirator named in the criminal complaints filed with the US District Court in Massachusetts.

In his suicide note, James wrote that he was killing himself in response to the federal investigation and their attempts to tie him to a crime which he did not commit:

"I have no faith in the 'justice' system. Perhaps my actions today, and this letter, will send a stronger message to the public. Either way, I have lost control over this situation, and this is my only way to regain control" . . . sitting in jail for 20, 10, or even 5 years for a crime I didn't commit is not me winning. I die free."
http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinesharrock ... -another-h