Mesoamerican Archaeology

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

But if there is a Hell Cho Seung-Hui should burn in it!
Marduk can call me a racist again if he wants, and in large letters to boot, but permitting people into our countries who don't share our values of decency -----. Words fail me!
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

You are not a racist, Digit.
You are a human who cares about your world and about others. Your rage is toward an individual, not a race, nationality or creed.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Religion is about "self" control.

Only for you, Monk. The powers-that-be simply want to keep the lid on.
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thanks for that Monk.
Digit

Post by Digit »

For all that you say is correct Min, I would rather live in a country of Christian values than most others.
And remember, I was raised as a Jew!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

What, exactly, are christian values?

I get this shit all the time from Fundies who insist that the US was founded as a "christian nation." They've never been able to explain it but they know it's true.

I'd like the opinion of an outsider.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Perhaps all things to all men Min, but to me they are such ideas as are enshrined in your country's constitution. Such as respect for other people's rights and property, freedom of speech, personal liberty.
Granted these ideals may not be represented in the Bible, but they seem to be uniquely associated with states that have a Christian heritage, and long may they continue!
Cognito

Constitution

Post by Cognito »

Perhaps all things to all men Min, but to me they are such ideas as are enshrined in your country's constitution. Such as respect for other people's rights and property, freedom of speech, personal liberty.
True, Digit, but those ideas originated with John Locke, your countryman. In other words, thank you. :D

FM, I agree with you that the proper application of religion is self control. Unfortunately, there are always people willing to make a buck out of the control aspect, i.e. "Pay me money and I'll show you how to get to heaven, you miserable wretch!" Unfortunately, much of organized religion is filled with those who are unsuited for the task. :evil:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... child.html
The skeletons of two dozen children killed in an ancient mass sacrifice have been found in a tomb at a construction site in Mexico.

The find reveals new details about the ancient Toltec civilization and adds to an ongoing debate over ritualistic killing in historic Mesoamerica.
This is a grisly discovery. :?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnN24278139.html
MONTERREY, Mexico, Sept 24 (Reuters Life!) - Ancient Mexicans and Egyptians who never met and lived centuries and thousands of miles apart both worshiped feathered-serpent deities, built pyramids and developed a 365-day calendar, a new exhibition shows.

Billed as the world's largest temporary archeological showcase, Mexican archeologists have brought treasures from ancient Egypt to display alongside the great indigenous civilizations of Mexico for the first time.
This article by Reuters seems to be doing its best to promote the idea of hyperdiffusion between Egypt and the ancient Olmecs. :shock:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I don't know whether the two peoples ever made contact Beag, but I think to deny the possibility is to insult our ancestors.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

But, of course, they are not the only cultures to build pyramids and worship feathered serpents.
You have both in China.
Pyramids in Mesopotamia, of course, as well as in NA (and Bosnia?)
Where the flying dragons of Northern Europe feathered?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Where the flying dragons of Northern Europe feathered?
The Welsh ones weren't.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Minimalist wrote:What, exactly, are christian values?

I get this shit all the time from Fundies who insist that the US was founded as a "christian nation." They've never been able to explain it but they know it's true.

I'd like the opinion of an outsider.
Except for the belief in Jesus and all that, how does "Christian Family Values" differ from Jewish family values, Buddhist family values or, as far as that goes, Muslim family values. I've know people from all three religions and can't tell any difference. (In fact the Buddists I know would put most Christians to shame when it comes to personal values.) Could it be that when it comes to "family values" everybody suffers from a case of ethnocentrism?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The only "christian value" that I can see in the founding of America was "kill the Indians and steal their land."

-- George Carlin