Help finding Key Marco image, please

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Help finding Key Marco image, please

Post by E.P. Grondine »

When I was in Gainesville, I saw a drawing Key Marco showing the temples and canals in perspective. I can not locate a copy via the net. Has anyone else seen it, and can any of you find it?
Digit

Re: Help finding Key Marco image, please

Post by Digit »

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.archaeologydaily.com/news/20 ... orida.html

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Digit wrote:Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.archaeologydaily.com/news/20 ... orida.html

Roy.
No, but thanks Roy. The image I am looking for is a black and white engraving, and aerial projection of the whole island complex.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

This one perhaps, EP?

E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

No, but thanks RS. The image I am looking for is a black and white engraving, and aerial projection of the whole island complex.
wxsby

Post by wxsby »

Wow... I grew up in that area and had no idea. As a kid, I explored the whole place and didn't know.
Regards,

Barry

STOP PLATE TECTONICS!
Rokcet Scientist

E.P. Grondine wrote:No, but thanks RS. The image I am looking for is a black and white engraving, and aerial projection of the whole island complex.
Huh? Afaik that image is black and white, looks very much like a print from an engraving, and is an aerial projection of the whole island complex...
Am I missing something?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Rokcet Scientist wrote: Huh? Afaik that image is black and white, looks very much like a print from an engraving, and is an aerial projection of the whole island complex...
Am I missing something?
Yes - the image looks like a view taken from a balloon or airplane - its a 3-D reconstruction.
Rokcet Scientist

E.P. Grondine wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote: Huh? Afaik that image is black and white, looks very much like a print from an engraving, and is an aerial projection of the whole island complex...
Am I missing something?
Yes - the image looks like a view taken from a balloon or airplane - its a 3-D reconstruction.
FYI: "A view taken from a balloon or airplane" is commonly known as an aerial projection, EP...

And would you kindly point out how that illustration is a "3-D reconstruction"? I see only 2 "D"imensions.
If you're referring to the isobars: that doesn't make it a 3D reconstruction. It stays a 2D illustration!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Different "key" but probably playing a similar song.

http://www.examiner.com/x-40598-Archite ... d-paradise
Around 0 AD a village was founded on an island near what is now Charlotte Harbor on the southwestern tip of Florida. It was just one of many small fishing villages that composed what archaeologists label the Caloosahatchee Culture. The village slowly grew in population and evolved culturally to the point that it was the capital and major population center for a province that covered much of southwestern Florida. By the 1500s when the Spanish arrived in Florida, the Calusa People occupied coastal towns and villages from Tampa Bay to the Keys, and also had villages about half the distance inland to Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Minimalist wrote:

Yes, but the main mound on Key Marco was 3 to 4 orders of magnitude larger.
Rokcet Scientist

E.P. Grondine wrote:
Minimalist wrote:

Maybe it grew over the centuries, millennia...? Like the main pyramid in Tenochtitlan. Mounds among people tend to do that!
wxsby

Post by wxsby »

Wow... I grew up skiffing and water skiing those bogs and lagoons a a kid. Jumped off more than a few bridges on a dare and never had any idea! Very cool...

Probably disturbed more than a few spirits in the mounds. Or maybe they were kindred spirits and enjoyed our exploits!
Regards,

Barry

STOP PLATE TECTONICS!
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

wxsby wrote:Wow... I grew up skiffing and water skiing those bogs and lagoons a a kid. Jumped off more than a few bridges on a dare and never had any idea! Very cool...

Probably disturbed more than a few spirits in the mounds. Or maybe they were kindred spirits and enjoyed our exploits!
I'd go with number 2, Barry. But as the mound served as an emergency hurricane shelter, we should likely heed the warning. As you can see from the artifacts at Gainesville, Key Marco was hit by a Tunguska class blast as well. Funny how the name Calusa translates into "Star People" in the article.

Those Spanish archives undoubtedly hold a lot more...
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
E.P. Grondine wrote:
Maybe it grew over the centuries, millennia...? Like the main pyramid in Tenochtitlan. Mounds among people tend to do that!
We don't know. It is so large it is mistaken today for a naturally occurring feature, and not man made.

A simple drilled coring would clear that up.