North American Neanderthals

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

uniface

North American Neanderthals

Post by uniface »

A third-party summary posted on another board :
Yotova et al just published a study in the journal Molecular Biology and Evolution which demonstrates that an X-linked haplotype of Neanderthals (B0006) is not only present in ALL non-African populations but also OCCURS AT THE HIGHEST RATE IN NATIVE AMERICANS. Moreover, it is basically ABSENT in East Asia, and occurs in 9% of Western Europeans, the "center" of ancient Neanderthal populations, but is PRESENT IN 25% OF NATIVE AMERICANS, by far the highest prevalence worldwide. If neanderthals never made it to the New World, how is this possible??? Opinions???
A few links I found :
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/e ... 4.abstract
http://forwhattheywereweare.blogspot.co ... rthal.html
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... en-priors/

FWIW
Digit

Re: North American Neanderthals

Post by Digit »

If neanderthals never made it to the New World, how is this possible??? Opinions???
I think that is a rather daft question actually.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If neanderthals never made it to the New World, how is this possible???

They didn't have to make it to the New World. They only had to make it with Siberians who later crossed over.

It would be nice to be able to read more than the abstract but I'm not about to subscribe just for that.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Exactly.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

If neanderthals never made it to the New World
That's a stupid supposition when truckloads of genetical evidence point to the opposite.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Must be me then, I haven't seen a tea cup full.

Roy.
uniface

Post by uniface »

They didn't have to make it to the New World. They only had to make it with Siberians who later crossed over.
Moreover, it is basically ABSENT in East Asia
Digit

Post by Digit »

Take a look at the map in your second link, the proportion is the same as most of Europe, a stronghold of HSN.

Roy.
uniface

Post by uniface »

Aside from the west coast of India and the tip of Beringia, nowhere in Asia (west of the Urals) comes close.

(?)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sorry Uni but you're missing the point.
The preponderance of an HSN genetic marker in an HSS population has no relevance to the number of HSNs in a given spot at a given time.
What the heavy marking in the NW Americas tells us is that the marker was not diluted by interbreeding in that area with those not carrying a heavy load of the marker, nothing more.

Roy.
uniface

Post by uniface »

Objection.

I'm citing data (presumably, facts).

You're attempting to replace that with a conjecture about it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Oh dear! Your post states but is PRESENT IN 25% OF NATIVE AMERICANS, not that NA have 25% of HSN genes.
If you shot ever NA with the marker, bar one, the marker would present in 100 % of the population.
That is also a fact!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Every cow is a mammal, Uni, but not every mammal is a cow.
oldarchystudent

Post by oldarchystudent »

I remember reading that haplogroup X was located in populations of the Altai Mountains of Siberia. That doesn't prove it's responsible for all or any of the North American incidence of X, but it's probably a good assumption.
My karma ran over my dogma.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Wow...talk about a blast from the past. How've you been guy!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin