PreClovis with Stratigraphy

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

uniface

PreClovis with Stratigraphy

Post by uniface »

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: PreClovis with Stratigraphy

Post by Minimalist »

The discovery strengthens the case for two theories that traditional archaeologists laughed at not long ago--that the first Americans came earlier than 13,000 years ago, and that they didn't walk over a land bridge into North America from Siberia, but came by skin boats at least 16,000 years ago (or long before) skirting along coastlines of the Aleutian Islands and then Alaska, Canada and America.

Waters believes they came by boat, hunting seals beside Ice Age glaciers a few miles at a time, surviving Ice Age weather, bringing families and pet dogs. He thinks the first colonies in America sprouted tens of thousands of years ago along the Columbia River basin between Washington and Oregon, a region he said archaeologists should re-explore with renewed vigor.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/03/24/177756 ... z1HZir5Eeh

Ah.....boats!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12851772

Supporting article. Good stuff from BBC.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hey, Beags.....I had a feeling this story would drive you into the sunlight.

:wink:

I like this comment:
Professor Gary Haynes, from the University of Nevada in Reno, US, praised the "good work" by the research team.

But he said it was plausible that natural processes could have caused some stone tools to migrate downwards in the clay - giving the impression of a pre-Clovis layer.

Thus one wonders why it is not equally "plausible" that natural processes could have caused Clovis artifacts to migrate downward as well? Perhaps they were made in 1850 or do these "natural processes" only work on evidence he finds inconvenient?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Waters believes they came by boat, hunting seals beside Ice Age glaciers a few miles at a time, surviving Ice Age weather, bringing families and pet dogs. He thinks the first colonies in America sprouted tens of thousands of years ago along the Columbia River basin between Washington and Oregon, a region he said archaeologists should re-explore with renewed vigor.
Uh, Mike. Have you ever heard of the Bonneville Floods? They pretty much created the Columbia River Basin, dude.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

And now in Kansas.

http://www.kansas.com/2011/03/24/177756 ... ad-to.html
"Kansas is right in the bulls-eye for activity by the Paleo Indians," said Waters, a professor of anthropology and geography at Texas A&M and director of Center for the Study of the First Americans.

Two sites worked by Rolfe Mandel, a geoarchaeologist with the Kansas Geological Survey, and others near Kanorado and at Lovewell Reservoir in Jewell County might roll back the time by thousands of years.

Ironic if in ground zero for nutty creationists that such evidence was found. I imagine the legislature will pass a law against it.

-- George Carlin