Solar Flare Wiped Out Megafauna and Clovis

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Cognito

Re: Solar Flare Wiped Out Megafauna and Clovis

Post by Cognito »

Since no one here understands the mechanisms of solar variability and ozone valving, how do any of you know how increased CO2 levels will interact with them?
Hi EP, I know a little about solar variability ... certainly enough to realize that its variability far exceeds anything anthropenic CO2 can muster at this point. I also know enough about chemistry to realize that CO2 is plant food.

I do agree with you that China and India dumping the pollutants that come along with increased industrial production is not a good thing and creates serious environmental problems. However, the raw data does not convince me that increased CO2 levels have had more than a negligible effect on worldwide temperatures so far. The seas are not rising, the glaciers are not melting and polar bears are not drowning no matter what Al Gore says.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

While I agree with much of what you wrote, E.P. ( I can think of any number of reasons to stop burning fossil fuels that have nothing to do with global warming ) I think you give humanity a bit too much credit here:
I wish we had firm answers to the AGW questions, as then we'd know what to do.

When have we ever acted as if we knew what to do beyond immediate self-interest?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Actually EP the population should hit 7 billion this October, as for being 'cooked', you might like to look at this.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/PageM ... age277.gif

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
john

Post by john »

Remember ZPG....................... ?

"You yourself, don't you find it a beautiful clean thought, a world empty of people, just uninterrupted grass, and a hare sitting up?"

~D.H. Lawrence, Women In Love

"In one hundred years, I won't give a flyin' shit about any of this"

~A Friend, considering his life

John
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Far less than 100, John!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

john wrote:Remember ZPG....................... ?
i'd go a bit further. NPG FTW!