But Still Clinging to the "Land Bridge"

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Farpoint

Re: But Still Clinging to the "Land Bridge"

Post by Farpoint »

Before I comment, if I'm qualified to comment, may I ask, which paper specifically?
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right question.

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
John Strong Newberry; 1873
countrcultur

Post by countrcultur »

Farpoint wrote:Before I comment, if I'm qualified to comment, may I ask, which paper specifically?
qualified, heh, there are no qualifications required, just looking for imput. it's a paper for Anthro 219: world prehistory.
uniface

Post by uniface »

Bear in mind that these people are comparing the present day Native Americans with the present day inhabitants of other countries.

This says nothing (except by a huge leap of faith) about where the people who were here X0,000 years ago came from.

The only way you could do that would be to ignore the present and work with the genetic material surviving from that era, comparing this with similarly old material from other places.

IOW : You can't conclude anything about apples from comparing oranges with oranges.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I have to agree with you on that, Uni. The claims of geneticists seem to undergo far too many changes far too often to take any of them at face value. I always get a feeling that they are still working the kinks out of what will become a very good system.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Contemporary peoples and their locations are the outcome of 20,000 years of "Survivor," with all kinds of displacements, migrations over huge distances (hell, look at the aftermath of the Roman Empire's collapse) (the medieval Scots placed their origin in Scythia -- the steppes of Southern Russia), exterminations, die-offs from famines & diseases, etc.

The earliest North Americans were a different sort of people.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Interesting way to phrase it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

In the study of the peopling of the Americas, DNA evidence is viewed as having great potential in helping to identify source populations and the timeline of their migrations. There is still far more work to be done in this area, such as getting a greater sample size of indigenous DNA and refining the estimates of the rates of genetic change. As the evidence seems very open-ended, it seems likely that it is possibly being stretched to fit theories. The interpretation of the data in this article still appears biased towards the current scientific view of one or more migrations through Beringia.

The study states that, “Phylogenetic analysis revealed that most Native American lineages are classified into four major distinct clusters. Individuals belonging to each cluster share at least two specific polymorphic sites that are nearly absent in other human populations, indicating a unique phylogenetic position of Native Americans.” It goes on to state, “the four Native American clusters are distinct and dispersed in the tree. These clusters almost exclusively consist of Native Americans--with only a few Asians, if any.” (epg - This is factually wrong - see the Cambridge World Haplogroup Maps for Asian distributions of NDN mt DNA.)

While this article contains good data that is likely based on good science, the conclusions made in it seem to be a bit of a stretch and may possibly be attributed to a bias of conformity. The connection that can be made from a minute percentage of the DNA samples shouldn't be enough to point to all migrations coming from similar sources or even to all indigenous populations having originated from a set of recent migrations.
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

It would be far more interesting to see what any ancient DNA results might show.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

They did try with Kennewick Man.

http://www.nps.gov/archeology/kennewick ... cabana.htm
Conclusion

We were unable to obtain reliable ancient DNA amplification results from the Kennewick samples. This means that either (1) no original DNA was preserved in the bone samples transferred to our laboratory, or (2) original DNA was preserved in the bone samples but we were unable to extract it.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Min....
You opened a festering wound with that Kennewick man post.
How can I get the rest of that report/
I tried to navigate around the site but was ubable to get past the home page.

kbs2244
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

kbs2244 wrote:Min....
You opened a festering wound with that Kennewick man post.
How can I get the rest of that report/
I tried to navigate around the site but was ubable to get past the home page.

kbs2244
I know you did not ask me but on this page seemingly every line is a link. (as well as the usual underlined sentences indicating a link ,lines with the black squares are links as well)
http://www.nps.gov/archeology/kennewick/index.htm#DNA
Regards Ernie
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That ought to keep you busy for a while, kb.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I keep getting a "cannot find file" error.
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

kbs2244 wrote:I keep getting a "cannot find file" error.
You could try the "Dell tech support fall back one size fits all get em outta our hair solution" .......you know..clear the cache and reboot...

My guess is you are having server problems..probably over load from the additional traffic caused by the hurricane taking out a lot of servers. Of course it could be aliens.
Regards Ernie
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Good guess.
Those Nat Park Svcs files are most likely on East Coast machines.
I will try to remember to try again in a week or so.