Have mainstream scholars studied New England's megaliths?

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

rako

Re: Have mainstream scholars studied New England's megaliths

Post by rako »

circumspice wrote:@ Rako: A heads up for you... You won't be making any converts & you won't be gaining any advocates. Just sayin'...
The only thing I wish to make people advocates for is the assessment of the main megalithic sites. Surely such analyses by mainstream researchers is something everyone, including skeptics, can get behind.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

rako wrote:Dear EP Grondine,
E.P. Grondine wrote: If you find any indication of impact phenomena,
be sure let me know.
I found:
3270 BC: New England; Elm collapse

New England elm collapse: 4650 BP-1950+570= 3270 BC Cause remains controversial.

3250 BC: New England; Hemlock decline New England

Decline in hemlock pollen in 45 New England lakes. The date of the disappearance is 4650 yrs BP with a standard deviation of 300 years.
http://web.stanford.edu/~meehan/donnellyr/3000bc.html

How about it?
Based on what evidence of impact tsunami has been recovered so far by archaeology,
I expect evidence for a major one from coastal sites may be found about 1,000 BCE.
See the end date for Canadian Red Paint.
Interesting theory.

What do you think of the claim that there was a Vela Supernova that brightened the sky of Mesopotamia in 10,000-8,000 BC about the time that settlement agriculture began and it made an impact on their cultural development?

Here it comes boys & girls...

Theosophist bullshit mixed in with the Atlantis legend...

You're being gently directed to the steaming pile of fringe mysticism. Enjoy!!!
:roll:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"Atlantis?" Really?? "Atlantis???"

How about gremlins? Can we get a defense of gremlins too? Or Leprechauns???
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
rako

Post by rako »

Minimalist wrote:"Atlantis?" Really?? "Atlantis???"
That's for a different thread.
How about gremlins? Can we get a defense of gremlins too? Or Leprechauns???
Since you asked:

Real forest creatures were the inspiration for the creatures in the movie Gremlins, as explained in:
PBS: Gremlins: Faces In The Forest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnR-bRn4cZs
Marmosets and tamarins are monkeys, but they're nicknamed “gremlins” for their appearance and mischievous behavior.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/gremlins ... ction/2290
"Gremlin and family", BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00ylv81/p00yfvvl

If you want to discuss gremlins or leprechauns, it's OK, but let's please do it in a separate thread, in this section:
http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewforum.php?f=12
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

Hear , hear , Rako .

Same goes for theosophy etc .
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

When Atlantis is mentioned it will be commented upon.

Deal with it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
rako

Post by rako »

Tiompan wrote:Hear , hear , Rako .

Same goes for theosophy etc .
Thanks, Tiompan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker
rako

Post by rako »

circumspice wrote:
be sure let me know.

What do you think of the claim that there was a Vela Supernova that brightened the sky of Mesopotamia in 10,000-8,000 BC about the time that settlement agriculture began and it made an impact on their cultural development?

Grondine said he wants to hear about Impact Phenomen, so I asked him what he thought about the idea of the cultural impact of the Vela Supernova. This is a mainstream topic discussed in peer reviewed journals.
Dr Duane Hamach, University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia
Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage, Volume 17, Issue 2, ; Are Supernovae Recorded in Indigenous Astronomical Traditions?
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1404/1404.3253.pdf
ABSTRACT:
Novae and s upernovae are rare astronomical events that would have had a n influence on the sky - watching peoples who witnessed them. Although several bright novae/ supernovae have been visible during recorded human history , there are many proposed but no confirmed accounts of supernovae in oral traditions or material culture . Criteria are established for confirming novae/supernovae in oral and material culture , and claims from around the world are discussed to determine if they meet these criteria . Aust ralian Aboriginal traditions are explored for possible descriptions of novae/ supernovae . Although representations of supernovae may exist in Indigenous traditions , there are currently no confirmed accounts in Indigenous oral or material traditions .
Grondine said he wants to hear about ancient Impact Phenomena.

Why bring in "Theosophy"?
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

I've come across misquoting and misunderstanding , both deliberate and unconscious , but attempting to forestall topics before they are introduced
takes the biscuit for straw man building .
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

be sure let me know.
I found:
3270 BC: New England; Elm collapse

New England elm collapse: 4650 BP-1950+570= 3270 BC Cause remains controversial.

3250 BC: New England; Hemlock decline New England

Decline in hemlock pollen in 45 New England lakes. The date of the disappearance is 4650 yrs BP with a standard deviation of 300 years.
http://web.stanford.edu/~meehan/donnellyr/3000bc.html

How about it?
Based on what evidence of impact tsunami has been recovered so far by archaeology,
I expect evidence for a major one from coastal sites may be found about 1,000 BCE.
See the end date for Canadian Red Paint.
Interesting theory.

Well, leave you all alone for a few days and civility disappears.

Rako, we generally use exact tree ring dates. The loss of species due to climate collapses is sometimes seen in the Pollen fossils.
Please remember that our climate has natural pretty extreme (in human terms) variability fur to solar fluctuations.

I once read a science fiction work in which our modern society was hit by a suprenova's EMP
The Earth has been hit in the past with no instantaneous extinction effects, but in our technological society, who knows?
As to the suprenovae shown in ancient rod inscriptions, or mentioned in ancient records, it is not my field.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Tiompan wrote: I've come across misquoting and misunderstanding, both deliberate and unconscious, but attempting to forestall topics before they are introduced
takes the biscuit for straw man building.
Well, as you can see, tiompan, this is a touchy subject.

I think that the people interested in NE rock structures deserve real answers to their questions,
whatever those answers may be.

While there are many people who have built imaginary European empires in ancient North America,
a far more prevalent view is that the native peoples here were too stupid to use rock in construction.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D4OK8Vcj7E
for example.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

circumspice wrote:

Spice, many people are upset by the current political atmosphere.
I put the blame for it on Newt Gingrich and his Judicial Watch attack machine,
along with "journalists" incapable of doing anything more than re-writing Press Releases.

You have to remember that the next impactor headed our way does not care about your political party, or your religious beliefs.
nor about your race, political system, nor your job, nor anything else about the human species.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
circumspice wrote:

Spice, many people are upset by the current political atmosphere.
I put the blame for it on Newt Gingrich and his Judicial Watch attack machine,
along with "journalists" incapable of doing anything more than re-writing Press Releases.

You have to remember that the next impactor headed our way does not care about your political party, or your religious beliefs.
nor about your race, political system, nor your job, nor anything else about the human species.
@E.P. : I don't give a happy rat's ass about the current political atmosphere. I'm apolitical. It's all the same shit with different tags.

What bothers me is the steaming bullshit being foisted upon the general public as credible info. Fear mongering also trips my trigger & pegs my bullshit meter. Yeah... fear sells copy, doesn't it E.P.? You should have a firm grasp of that concept from your career as a "journalist". :roll:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

circumspice wrote:
@E.P. : I don't give a happy rat's ass about the current political atmosphere. I'm apolitical. It's all the same shit with different tags.

What bothers me is the steaming bullshit being foisted upon the general public as credible info. Fear mongering also trips my trigger & pegs my bullshit meter. Yeah... fear sells copy, doesn't it E.P.? You should have a firm grasp of that concept from your career as a "journalist". :roll:
Spice, I have no apologies for my reporting.
If you have problems with my work as a journalist, then do tell me about them, and give me your source.
There are plenty of people who do not want to hear what I have reported,
and are perfectly agreeable to slandering me both quietly and openly, if they can get away with it.

As far as fear selling, the impact hazard is a problem which mankind is perfectly capable of dealing with.
The impact hazard is also far greater than was previously estimated,
and goes a long way towards explaining some archaeological discontinuities..
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Just to snap you all out of your post election stupor:

http://marcopoloinseattle.com/wp/mediev ... oundation/

Which site features very serious and very detailed cartographic studies of early maps.

My interest in this was spurred by early (pre Penada) detailed maps of the Atlantic coast,
which may give some indication as to native settlement:
http://marcopoloinseattle.com/Documents ... rborea.pdf

Be sure to note the butternuts at L'anse aux Medows:
http://naturalhistory.si.edu/vikings/vo ... rcheo.html

What is interesting in all of this is that no one has looked at the fall of Byzantium
and its effect on the demand for exotic goods.

One also has to wonder if anything bearing on this Francisan exists in the Vatican Library.
As I understand it, the agreement between Spain and Portugal over the division of the Americas
was arrived at before Columbus.