Mexico City Wind God temple

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Mexico City Wind God temple

Post by kbs2244 »

As a confirmed diffusionist, I have to ask,

“Why build a temple to a Wind God in the center of a continent unless your history had a strong wind driven (sailing) element?”

http://www.dw.com/en/god-of-wind-pre-co ... a-36597462
circumspice

Re: Mexico City Wind God temple

Post by circumspice »

Um...

Because the wind blows everywhere & not just in a maritime environment?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

But how important a factor is it in daily life mid-continent?
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I wouldn't call Mexico City's location mid continental. I can see veneration of a wind god (any wind god) because that part of Mexico is right in the 'hurricane alley' area of the Gulf of Mexico. Try sitting out a hurricane & you'd probably be praying to whatever deity you thought would save your bacon.

By the way... a hurricane is a really strong wind... :lol:
Attachments
375px-Mexico_(city)_in_Mexico_(zoom).svg.png
375px-Mexico_(city)_in_Mexico_(zoom).svg.png (44.07 KiB) Viewed 6381 times
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope