near miss last Monday

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

near miss last Monday

Post by kbs2244 »

A near miss this week
On a "live broadcast."
But not on any major media outlet that I know of.

http://www.businessinsider.com/asteroid ... oon-2017-1

"It is not that uncommon of an event"
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: near miss last Monday

Post by Minimalist »

I thought I felt a draft.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Kalopin

Post by Kalopin »

https://www.rt.com/usa/376496-meteor-wi ... -fireball/ "Green meteor sighted across upper Midwest" (VIDEO)
Published time: 6 Feb, 2017 17:41
"Hundreds of people around the upper Midwest, especially in Wisconsin and Illinois, have reported witnessing a fireball event early Monday.
At around 1:30am Central Time, the fireball was spotted by witnesses as far west as Wisconsin and as far east as New York, the American Meteor Society (AMS) reported Monday. Trajectory estimates compiled through witness reports suggested the meteor "ended its flight on the Lake Michigan somewhere between Sheboygan, Wi and Manitowoc wi," [sic] AMS wrote..."
[at the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious-]
...yes, such a common occurrence, but can't get through all the other "news" to be recognized as the threat it is... [once again- RT, where is everyone else?-for shame] The meteoroid, small asteroid, you posted is surrounded by many thousands more, most are in orbit, most are unaccounted for... it's the ones coming in from other trajectories, coming in from outside our solar-system, larger asteroids and comets, that are the real threat... [and much harder to detect] There is much further to go, in understanding neo's and what can occur, such as, what material is this rock comprised of? ...is it solid iron? [that may impact]? ...or is it just pumice? [which will quickly disintegrate]? This is why the facts need to be known, so that the funding can be directed to the real enemy...
[I guess the rock has to hit the right head?;-]
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

If correct, that hit site is less than 300 miles from my house.
But, you are correct, there was no mention of it in either Milwaukee or Chicago media.

The various national news services (AP, etc) did have stories, but they were passed over.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The various national news services (AP, etc) did have stories, but they were passed over.

But it was Superbowl weekend.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

It was on NBC Nightly News Monday night. I saw it on my local news Monday morning, and then googled it to see as many videos as possible. Decent fireball.