A new "landmark" book

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

A new "landmark" book

Post by E.P. Grondine »

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133 ... st-contact

I am looking forward to seeing whether Kolodny made use of the Five Nations memories of the Norse,
as set out over a decade ago in:

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: A new "landmark" book

Post by Minimalist »

Still trumpeting folklore, E.P.?

You do know we have actual archaeological evidence of norse arrival in the 11th century?

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/4
L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site

At the tip of the Great Northern Peninsula of the island of Newfoundland, the remains of an 11th-century Viking settlement are evidence of the first European presence in North America. The excavated remains of wood-framed peat-turf buildings are similar to those found in Norse Greenland and Iceland.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:Still trumpeting folklore, E.P.?

You do know we have actual archaeological evidence of norse arrival in the 11th century?

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/4
L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site

At the tip of the Great Northern Peninsula of the island of Newfoundland, the remains of an 11th-century Viking settlement are evidence of the first European presence in North America. The excavated remains of wood-framed peat-turf buildings are similar to those found in Norse Greenland and Iceland.

Lordy, lordy, say it so! :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

I'd like to be fair to E.P. here. There are several rather exhaustive reviews at the link he provided, and it does sound like an excellent contribution to the subject.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

For what it is worth..........
I have a copy.
I have read it twice.
I think he does a good job of making his point.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

kbs2244 wrote:For what it is worth..........
I have a copy.
I have read it twice.
I think he does a good job of making his point.
Did you really read that book?

The author is FEMALE... Annette Kolodny...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

"Having long argued that English-language texts alone provide an inadequate understanding of frontier history, Annette Kolodny now challenges the Eurocentric assumptions involved in what constitutes a 'literary' source. She makes the case that North American literary history begins not with the European exploration narratives customarily taken as its start, but with 'contact texts' culled from the pictographic materials of tribes in the Algonquian-speaking Wabanaki Confederacy and from the Norse sagas with which she suggests they intersect."

Native American pictographic script.
Its a start, but does not take into account other mnemonic aids, nor methods of the preservation of oral histories.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

The word "culled" being important here. And er the Vikings were Europeans weren't they? Sounds gibberish.