Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

stan gilliam

paleoindian maps

Post by stan gilliam »

http://www.pidba.utk.edu/maps.htm

Here is a great link with maps of paleolindian lithics and populations, from
Leona's university, I believe.

I was mightily impressed by the density of finds in the eastern woodland area, particularly in the "all fluted points" map, 12k to 10k bp.

It strikes me that, in order to have such a widespread and dense coverage so early on, that there must have been a very large population.
Therefore:
They had already been here a long time!
And/or the migration to North America must have included a very large number of people.
(Another neat thing about these maps is that they show roughly that roughtly the entire continental shelf was dry at that time!)
Rokcet Scientist

Re: paleoindian maps

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

[quote="stan gilliam"]http://www.pidba.utk.edu/maps.htm

Here is a great link with maps of paleolindian lithics and populations, from
Leona's university, I believe.

I was mightily impressed by the density of finds in the eastern woodland area, particularly in the "all fluted points" map, 12k to 10k bp.

It strikes me that, in order to have such a widespread and dense coverage so early on, that there must have been a very large population.
Therefore:
They had already been here a long time!
And/or the migration to North America must have included a very large number of people.
(Another neat thing about these maps is that they show roughly that roughtly the entire continental shelf was dry at that time!)[/quote]

You must have scared them off, Frank: that server is now offline...
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It's Tennessee...maybe they shut down for the weekend?
stan gilliam

map site

Post by stan gilliam »

It was me, not Frank, who" must have scared them off." Try this link:

http://pidba.utk.edu/

It is working.
I stuck the www. in the other one. I thought all urls had to have www in them.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Interesting site, thanks for passing it on. The McClung Museum, which is on the UTK campus and associated with the Department of Archaeology, has a very good exhibit on the N.A. of the Southeast. Unfortunatley, it's a little bit geared to school age children, but still has a lot for adults. Have been there several times, mostly with grandchildren who love it because it has a lot of interactive things for them to do, but it has so much information.

As a point of clarification, my college is UCLA, I'm only in E.T under duress. :twisted:
Rokcet Scientist

Re: map site

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

[quote="stan gilliam"]It was me, not Frank, who" must have scared them off." Try this link: http://pidba.utk.edu/
It is working.
I stuck the www. in the other one. I thought all urls had to have www in them.[/quote]

Thanks, Stan (sorry, Frank).
What strikes me is the distribution of recovered fluted points: most east, least west, suggesting that was the general direction in which they discovered/roamed north America (which fits my holocaust theory). I'd like to see that same map color coded for the age of the found arrowheads and other fluted points. If my theory holds, the oldest ought to be in the east and the youngest in the west.

BTW: the title/name of that map/website, "The Paleoindian Database of the Americas", is a complete misnomer since it is – as usual – exclusively 'north-American-centric'. Entirely ignoring ALL the peoples/cultures in ALL the rest of the Americas...
Some people call that an attitude. I call it stupid.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

The site is still in prgress. It is still kinda new and eventually it will have more areas. Right now, since it comes from the University of Tennessee, and they are primarily interested in Southeastern history, that is the information they have most of to start off with. Just keep checking back.