The news page

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

oldarchystudent

The news page

Post by oldarchystudent »

The news page hasn't been updated since the 25th. Is there still a server problem? The forum seems to be stable now. Not complaining, just asking.

Cheers

Jim
My karma ran over my dogma.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

There is a note at the top of the page that says the news will be sporadic for a couple of weeks. Here are a couple of links for you on other newslines

http://anthropology.tamu.edu/news.htm

http://www.archaeology.org/online/news/index.html

Just in case you didn't know about them yet. I know there are a lot more, I just can't find where I bookmarked them :roll:
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I use a Yahoo search system for archaeology as well and there just has not been a lot of news lately.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

This is about a week old.....interesting idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060924/ ... nmastodons
Scientists examining mastodon skeletons found a type of bone damage in several of the animal's foot bones that is unique to sufferers of tuberculosis. The disease would have weakened and crippled the animals, making them more vulnerable to humans and climate change, two factors that scientists have long speculated were behind their extinction in North America.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

[quote="Starflower"]There is a note at the top of the page that says the news will be sporadic for a couple of weeks. [/quote]

That note has been there as long as I could remember. Before I even joined the discussion group some months ago. I have made it a habit to always go to the news page first. Along with the site for Archaeology Magazine and NG, this i where you will find most of the current news.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

Minimalist wrote:This is about a week old.....interesting idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060924/ ... nmastodons
Scientists examining mastodon skeletons found a type of bone damage in several of the animal's foot bones that is unique to sufferers of tuberculosis. The disease would have weakened and crippled the animals, making them more vulnerable to humans and climate change, two factors that scientists have long speculated were behind their extinction in North America.
I really enjoyed reading that article.
This is not exactly archaeology, but I thought it went with your post,kind of.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13620701/
A large cat dining on the entrails of one our early ancestors thousands of years ago contracted an ulcer-causing bacteria that spread to lions, cheetahs and tigers and which persists to this day
So couldn't it be possible we infected the bisons and mammoths also? (only not in the same manner) I know there are theories that humans 'conquered' the Neandertals and indigenous peoples by disease. So why not animals too? It's something to think about anyway.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
oldarchystudent

Starflower wrote:There is a note at the top of the page that says the news will be sporadic for a couple of weeks. Here are a couple of links for you on other newslines

http://anthropology.tamu.edu/news.htm

http://www.archaeology.org/online/news/index.html

Just in case you didn't know about them yet. I know there are a lot more, I just can't find where I bookmarked them :roll:
Sorry to jump into the middle of the infected entrails (yuck!) but another news site - Topix.

http://www.topix.net/science/archaeology/
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So couldn't it be possible we infected the bisons and mammoths also? (only not in the same manner) I know there are theories that humans 'conquered' the Neandertals and indigenous peoples by disease. So why not animals too? It's something to think about anyway.

Inter-species spread of disease is a proven fact, Star. It's why everyone is so worried about Avian Flu.

I certainly subscribe to the disease theory vis-a-vis the HNS extinction as it seems the surest method for newcomers to gain the upper hand on indigenous inhabitants. The method certainly worked out for Europeans in the New World.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Minimalist wrote:

Inter-species spread of disease is a proven fact, Star. It's why everyone is so worried about Avian Flu.

I certainly subscribe to the disease theory vis-a-vis the HNS extinction as it seems the surest method for newcomers to gain the upper hand on indigenous inhabitants. The method certainly worked out for Europeans in the New World.
I don't disagree with any of that. Could have been many reasons, but the disease model makes a lot of sense. It wouldn't have exterminated them, but with smaller numbers would have genetically absorbed, or weakened to the point of actual existence.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Sorry for the sporadic nature of the news updates. I’ve been in Oregon, in areas where connection is limited at best. One spot had no cell, internet, phone or television! Peaceful!

Tonight I’m Carmel slowly heading home, so things will catch up over the next few days.

Thanks for waiting!

Michelle Hilling,
Archaeologica.org
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

One spot had no cell, internet, phone or television!

Sounds like Baghdad.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

In some ways, worse! :lol: Just kidding it was very peaceful

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Glad you're back Michelle. Hope you had fun. I need to head to the peaceful boonies frequently.

See you folks Sunday - after I finish for the night. 8)
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

News is updated. Will try to update again tmorrow. I won't be home until Tuesday to get back to the regular rhythm

oldarchystudent

MichelleH wrote:News is updated. Will try to update again tmorrow. I won't be home until Tuesday to get back to the regular rhythm
Thanks for thinking of us while you're on the road Michelle!

Jim