attila's lost capital?

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

eratoh

Re: hun

Post by eratoh »

stan wrote:eratoh, it looks like you are onto something!
Nobody in Romania seems to know anything about it!! :shock: :roll:

Why is that?

You say you visited the place in 1990....how did you know it was there?
Were you looking for it on those old maps?

And I take it that no one has ever excavated this place? Remarkable!
It's kind of like that Bosnian Pyramid....it was there, but no one paid any attention to it....

Maybe you could start a new discipline called virtual archaeology...using
Google earth...I regret very much not having access to it, as it is not avalable for my Mac OS9!!
So what are your plans?? :) :?:
the story as it seems to be is that the romanians do not want this thing if it is attilas. anything up to daco-roman fine.

in march/april 1990, i stayed for a few days at my defector business partners moms house. the outhouse was at the end of the garden and due to my delicate constitution and their exotic living conditions i spent much time in transit. you could see the outermost wall cut by a road. didn't think anything of it, its maybe a foot tall at most like nothing. the day google maps came out, i looked it up.

my plans? i'm trying to get someone interested enough and credentialed to go dig it. then i want to watch it on tv. i'd like the romanians [especially in cornesti] to benefit economically as it could be lucrative.
eratoh

resources

Post by eratoh »

cultural memory romania=====================

timis county______________________________________
http://www.cimec.ro/Monumente/ListaMonu ... MonIst.htm

see cornesti_______________________________________
http://www.cimec.ro/scripts/mapserv.exe ... &img.y=234

cultural memory hungary====================
http://mars.elte.hu/varak/terkep+lista2.php

note atle [take that as you wish] near zsadany===========
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/39-46.jpg

more interesting reading================
http://sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/10% ... V3P5En.htm
Rokcet Scientist

Re: hun

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

stan wrote:[...]Maybe you could start a new discipline called virtual archaeology...using Google earth
He started, stan...
stan wrote:[...] I regret very much not having access to it, as it is not avalable for my Mac OS9!!
It ain't for OSX.3.9 either, stan. 2006 is gonna be the year of the new brand spanking new 20" Intel iMac with OSX.4 for me. Just waiting for the bugs to be ironed out.
eratoh

i wish

Post by eratoh »

i wish someone would take this and run [or walk quickly]

the application to excavate is online [http://www.cimec.ro/e_default.htm] but you need not excavate as you are looking for a roman bath to know you're on to something

the land is public [commune]

the imaging equipment is cheap to buy now and cheaper to rent and works tied to the bumper of a truck.

it wouldn't be a small thing. this would be very important to alot of people.
stan

eratoh

Post by stan »

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: hun
------------------------------------------------------------------------
stan wrote:
[...]Maybe you could start a new discipline called virtual archaeology...using Google earth

He started, stan...

Indeed, he has!
I meant to emphasize the name of his activity. The term
"remote sensing" has been around for a while, and it included
radar, sonar, aerial photography, and so on. But now we (some of us anyway):oops:
have Google earth, perhaps one year old.
So I was suggesting the terminology, " virtual archaeology."
Maybe someone is already using that term. Anyhow,
eratoh has gone well beyond that. :shock: :D :!:
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
stan

eratoh

Post by stan »

Where to you live, eratoh, and what languages do you know?
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Satellite imagery has been used for a while. I have used it locally to find possible sites here in Texas. It is very handy to locate things you can't really see from the ground. Seems to me I've heard the term "virtual archaeology" before, but I'm not sure what they were referring to.
stan

virtual

Post by stan »

I think google earth is a revolutionary tool, making these images
available essentially to "everybody in the world"....but who knows what will
happen as a result. I seem to recall that the US govt. refused to make some images available, maybe of the DC area.
According to Google, the images are updated every few days, and some are shot from aircraft.
stan

google

Post by stan »

and they come right to your living room with the touch of a button!!

(If you have a PC, that is!)
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

How does the screen get so wide?
eratoh

Post by eratoh »

i am canadian. my associates are hungo-romanian [speak both] so they are treated medievally as soon as someone hears their names. i cannot pursue this as i have no credentials and can't get a return email from anybody who should be interested so instead i'll have to make the market.

you have no doubt heard of truthiness. maybe this is truthierness.

if the big screen you mean is in google maps, it comes from the structure of the url
http://maps.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en& ... 068836&t=k

it must have the country and the coordinates. by default google wants to put in their marketing stuff on the left
stan

romania

Post by stan »

From a linguistic and political point of view, the site in Romania has
some parallels to the "Bosnian Pyramid." Apparently it was neglected by the archaeological establishment and government(s) in Bosnia (granted, they've probably had other priorities during the last 15 years or so!).
In Bosnia, the archaeological establishment says it already knew what the pyramid was, but refer to it only as a "necropolis." It seems more remarkable than that to me. However, it has taken a grandstanding
entrepreneur to bring it to public attention. Now the local academic establishment doesn't want Osmanegic to dig it, although he is scheduled to
begin in April, with government support. FUrthermore, it seems that Osmanegic is
not academically qualified, although he has a few archaeologists on board.
Similarly, your site seems to be in a governmental and archaeological black hole as the pyramid was a couple of years ago.
Linguistically, I regret that we Americans can't follow the internal dialog in those
darn former soviet and other eastern european countries because they persist in using those pesky national and ethnic languages. !! (BTW, thanks for the interesting ballad of Attila). Further, nationalism and ethnic identities over there probably make sharing of scholarly information somewhat difficult.
Aside from ignoring important sites, what do you think of the quality of
archeological work in eastern europe?
eratoh

Re: romania

Post by eratoh »

stan wrote: Aside from ignoring important sites, what do you think of the quality of
archeological work in eastern europe?
if its daco-roman, they'll dig it, put it all back and dig it again. other earlier discoveries come from that big hill thats in the middle of town. i think its an embarassment of riches so you concentrate on what keeps you your national boundries.
stan

romania

Post by stan »

Frank Harrist wrote:
You mean the posts running off into the next room?
That is happening to me, too, on both my browsers.

Eratoh:

I wondered about that "embarrassment of riches." It must be true of that whole part of the world!
eratoh

Re: romania

Post by eratoh »

stan wrote:Frank Harrist wrote:
You mean the posts running off into the next room?
That is happening to me, too, on both my browsers.

Eratoh:

I wondered about that "embarrassment of riches." It must be true of that whole part of the world!
the google map i linked you to is not the standard size map, thats the extra size. i feel terrible, its like youre that kid that had to look out the window at all the other kids playing but at least you have nice toys in the house.

as to the riches, there are dozens of big objects [1000feet] in that strip of map and since they aren't in a town, they aren't listed.

for instance
http://216.109.132.28/test3.jpg