Giza

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Donna

Post by Donna »

Min,
Great picture but it could never be. I thought Roman military leaders actually had to fight?
Donna
marduk

Post by marduk »

like Valerian did against the Persians
lets hope Dubya doesn't/does (your choice) :lol: end up skinned in a Persian temple
http://www.garstang.us/emperors/valandgal.htm
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

News from the Giza front.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... e1201.html
In new research on the great pyramids of Giza, a scientist says he has found more to their construction than cut natural limestone: Some original parts of the massive structures appear to be made of concrete blocks.

And, of course, an immediate counterattack from The Club.
Zahi Hawass, secretary general of antiquities in Egypt and director of the Giza pyramids excavations, said in an e-mail message, "The idea that concrete was used is unlikely and completely unproven."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 51,00.html
The pair believe that the concrete method was used only for the stones on the higher levels of the Pyramids. There are some 2.5 million stone blocks on the Cheops Pyramid. The 10-tonne granite blocks at their heart were also natural, they say. The professors agree with the “Davidovits theory” that soft limestone was quarried on the damp south side of the Giza Plateau. This was then dissolved in large, Nile-fed pools until it became a watery slurry.
Another article on this. If true, this would be one of the earliest examples of concrete technology.
The concrete theorists say that they will be unable to prove their theory conclusively until the Egyptian authorities give them access to substantial samples
It may take a while.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 368276B221
- A robotic archaeologist is to be sent deep inside Egypt's largest pyramid in a bid to solve secrets revealed by a first foray more than four years ago, antiquities supremo Zahi Kawass said on
Thursday.

"The new robot will be sent down very narrow passages in the so-called Queen's Chamber, where the first robot was sent in 2002," said Hawass, who heads Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Teams from Egypt and Singapore and a joint group from Britain and Hong Kong plan to insert the robot in February inside the Pyramid of Cheops at Giza, near to Cairo
From Archaeologica News.
Digit

Post by Digit »

That Beag I WANT to see. Too often the Egyptian authorities seem to be very reluctant to allow any examination that might just upset the status quo, for example, surely we all want to know about that cavity between the Sphynx's feet, and the best way to terminate the arguments about concrete work is to allow the tests to take place.
Knowing that ancients didn't rely on levitation, flying saucers, magic or a race of giants will never diminish their achievements
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Zahi Hawass (ZH) has been the subject of many discussions here. Those guys may never be allowed in Egypt again. :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's going to be tough because the guy is an Egyptian.

I wonder if Hawass has that much pull?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

the guy is an Egyptian
I missed that part. Then I guess he gets to look over the wall.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

With binoculars!

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I don't know why ZH would get bent out of shape about this, other than having to say "we were wrong"

This concrete technology at that time is still quite an achievement.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Based on the idea that someone DID invent concrete, and assuming that he didn't wake one morning and think 'today I'm going to invent concrete', it's logical to assume that luck came into it.
The Egyptians had Limestone, anyone who has camped out doors without all mod cons knows that stone helps with the cooking. If you heat Limestone till it powders you are on your way to mortar, concrete isn't a big step from there, so unless somebody knows for certain when concrete was first produced, I for one am not prepared to say that the Egyptians couldn't have produced it.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I agree with that Digit.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Most sources on the web credit the Romans but they acquired so much of their technology from other cultures that it seems likely that they acquired this too.

Like so many other things, though, they did perfect concrete even to the point where it would harden underwater for building ports.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

When you say the Romans are credited with the invention of concrete Min I take that to mean 'Roman' cement and concrete. Their's was no ordinary mortar, it would even set under water, and when you consider the massive structures they created, and are still in use today, I suspect there was quite a lot of history to the product.