More Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

More Archaeology

Post by Minimalist »

that has nothing to do with Yahweh and the OT Rockers.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200609 ... THJ80.html
WASHINGTON (AP) - It's more than idle doodling and the meaning is unclear. But there's one thing researchers are sure of: The insect, ear of corn, inverted fish and other symbols inscribed on an ancient stone slab is the earliest known writing in the Western Hemisphere.

The arrangement and pattern of the symbols suggest the ancient Olmec civilization was using written language roughly three centuries earlier than previously proposed.

"We are dealing with the first, clear evidence of writing in the New World," said Stephen Houston, a Brown University anthropologist. Houston and his U.S. and Mexican colleagues detail the tablet's discovery and analysis in a study appearing this week in the journal Science.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
stan

Post by stan »

This is pretty exciting. I like the suggestion that the stone was carried around and erased and used over and over.

By the way, has it ever beens suggested that those olmec heads were carved from the "stone balls" we've been talking about?
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Not that I'm aware, Stan.

Interesting idea, though.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.ancientx.com/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=52&z=1

A large stone vessel, resembling a libation bowl, and now known as the Fuente Magna, was originally discovered in a rather casual fashion by a country peasant from the ex-hacienda CHUA, property of the Manjon family situated in the surrounding areas of Lake Titicaca about 75/80 km from the city of La Paz.
While watching the Tennessee/Florida football game, I checked in and noticed the reference to the Pokotia stone in another topic. Intersting article. I'll get another.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.fortworthastro.com/primefocu ... page4.html
Now to the present day - A pre-Incan Pokotia monolith statue was discovered by a Bolivian archaeology team led by Dr. Bernardo Biados and Freddy Arce on January 4, 2002. Their research in the Pokotia, Tiahuanaco, and Lake Titicaca area is supported by The Honorable H. Enrique Toro, President of the Congress of Bolivia. The final picture at right is a "rubbing" of the script off the back of a stone monolith statue found at Pokotia, Bolivia, which is close to Tiuhuanaco, just below Lake Titicaca. It is quite feasible that the stones could date from 1000 AD, coinciding with the calculated date of the outburst
From the Young Astronomers - seems like someone is on to something.
marduk

Post by marduk »

i never thought this was genuine
the script doesnt really look like cuneiform and even if it was it doesn't prove that the Sumerians travelled to South America
just that the bowl did
:lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243122,00.html
A 600-year-old mummy of a woman with her hands over her eyes and her face twisted in fear is just one of about 20 mummies that will soon go on display at the National Museum at Lima as part of the "Mysteries of the People of the Clouds" exhibit.
From the News Section.
We've discussed the "People of the Clouds" before, and reviewed some of the explanations. This article is about the fact that the mummies are going on display.

But - even the explanations offered about these people are mysterious. :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

a woman with her hands over her eyes and her face twisted in fear

Probably just watched Bush on tv.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/526767/?sc=rssn
The trophy skull was found in what the archaeologists consider the VIP area of the cemetery. Special placement of llama bones, a distinguishing feature of Wari remains, alerted the archaeologists and volunteers that something special might be underneath. The skull had a large circular hole cut in its base, suggesting that it may have been put or held on a pole. A large hole in the back of the skull indicates that it may have been worn during special ceremonies like a large pendant. The skull also features a line cut across the frontal bone, which indicates removal of the scalp possibly for the cleaning, perhaps for use as a ceremonial vessel, and was later reattached to the skull with gold alloy pins
From Archaeologica news
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.chnpress.com/news/?section=2&id=6961
Tehran, 27 January 2007 (CHN Foreign Desk) -- The Archeology Research Center of Iran’s Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization (ICHTO) has started talks with the Archeology Department of the British Oxford University to study the chronology of Iran’s prehistoric sites, especially focusing on the transition from the Bronze to the Iron Age. The Center is planning to send samples of some prehistoric evidence found in these areas to the University for exact dating.

The new initiative is part of a preliminary plan that was recently approved by ICHTO’s Archeology Research Center titled: “Organizing Dating and Chronological Studies of Iran’s Pre-historic Sites with a Focus on Bronze and Iron Age Sites.” Director of the Center, Hasan Fazeli-Nashli and archeologist Mehrdad Malekzadeh have been appointed to implement the plan.

Fazeli Nashli had earlier announced that a budget request of 150,000 USD has been approved for this plan; however, the money has not yet been granted to the Center.
I think this is a good funding decision. The results will be very interesting. Probably 5 yrs.

From Archaeologica News.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Agreed Beag, as long as we can keep bloody politics out of that is. :roll:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

We can't keep politics and religion off of this forum. :lol:
So I have little hope.
marduk

Post by marduk »

well pseudoscience is a religion too
its entirely faith based and does not rely on any scientific evidence
and Beagle and Minimilist are fundies
they even have their own version of the devil but they call it "the club"
the biggest clue for you to realise this is the fact that you think your beliefs are reasonable and that everyone should think the same
just like Arch was. If people don't think your way then theres something wrong with them or they are working for satans club
maybe you should think about what the rest of us have to put up with listening to your beliefs before you start moaning about what you don't like
:roll:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

marduk wrote:they even have their own version of the devil but they call it "the club"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
When I read that I nearly fell out of my chair.
:lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Marduk always has an inflated opinion of himself, Monk.

Devil? Hardly. Pompous ass? Assuredly. Club Wannabe? Of the highest order.

-- George Carlin