Marduks movie corner

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Cognito

Theater

Post by Cognito »

Hmmm ... I thought a theater was an area where armed conflict occurred (théâtre in Belgium for you, Marduk) :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
marduk

Post by marduk »

the best end of the world Movie I have ever seen is the Prophecy
http://imdb.com/title/tt0114194/
you wouldn't like it FM
its got a lot of christian mythology in it
(clickable links)
and Viggo Mortensen
:twisted:
and Christopher Walken
I thought a theater was an area where armed conflict occurred

ah well you're an american
you would think that
:lol:
at some point you guys are going to have to understand that War for real is not like what you see in Hollywood movies
still
you've only been doing it for a couple of centuries now so i'm sure you'll get the hang of it at some point
:lol: :wink:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Yeah, we're relative infants at the war game.

Usually at some point, though, the old man realizes its time to sit down. Otherwise, one day, the kid is forced to kick his butt.

and btw - no matter what definition you apply, its still a theater. Or maybe one who eats is an eatre, or one who anticipates is an anticipatre. That "re" thing is probably french influence, isn't it?

Barracuda

Re: 300

Post by Barracuda »

This is not a "chick flick" unless your sweetie veggie-slices her pets for weekend BBQs. :shock:
Reminds me of a story about one of my kayaking buddies. Unbeknown to him, his Fillipina Ex-wife killed his dog and put it in the stir fry. He ate it.
Forum Monk

Re: 300

Post by Forum Monk »

Barracuda wrote:Reminds me of a story about one of my kayaking buddies. Unbeknown to him, his Fillipina Ex-wife killed his dog and put it in the stir fry. He ate it.
Afterward, did he have an uncontrollable desire to mark his property?

:wink:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070308/en ... 0308105052
The epic has already drawn criticism in Greece for portraying the ancient Spartans as crazed with bloodlust, and pitting them against wild beasts, giants and other fang-toothed horrors that never set foot at Thermopylae.

"To see the authorities promoting a film so ignorant of history is scandalous," said Sparta pharmacist Leonidas Kanellias, a modern namesake of the ancient king.
It might be a good movie, but it's not history.
From the Daily Grail.
marduk

Post by marduk »

It might be a good movie, but it's not history.
From the Daily Grail.
well thats why this thread is called Marduks movie corner and not
"Marduks real history movie corner"
expecting hollywood to depict any moment of history as it actually happened is beyond their ability as anyone who saw "Pearl Harbour" (lone american pilot wins the battle of britain and the air war in the pacific single handedly) or "Robin Hood" (American Robin heads the sheriff off at the pass) or "Braveheart" can attest (Australian scotsman wins battle after battle against superior english troops)
pffft
one of my favourite movies is Highlander (French Scotsman and Scottish Egyptian defeat American Russian)
:shock:
Last edited by marduk on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

The truly sad thing is that the millions who go see 300 will come out thinking they are experts on ancient Greek history.

Just like the 100’s of thousands that saw Castaway think they know how to survive on a desert island.

And the 10’s of thousands that saw the Bourn Adventure think they could be government assassins

And the thousands that saw Inconvenient Truth think they are experts on climate change.

What ever happened to the disclaimer:
“The following (insert; movie, book, TV show, lecture) is an act of pure fiction. Any relationship to the truth or people now alive or dead is purely coincidental, unintended, and deniable in court of law“.

In the end I will probably have to go see it just so I can answer the questions I will get from people that know I am something of a history buff. I don’t know if I look forward to it or not.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Maybe the dozens who saw "Inconvenient Truth", eh?

KB - for what it worth, go see the see movie, don't take it the least bit seriously, don't look for common sense, forget the fact that giants, and other mythological creatures weren't involved, and it should be a visual blast. As for me, I'll wait until the DVD only because I have all females in my house who aren't the least bit interested to see it. Guess they're not the 'fricassee a pet' types.
marduk

Post by marduk »

Just like the 100’s of thousands that saw Castaway think they know how to survive on a desert island.

And the 10’s of thousands that saw the Bourn Adventure think they could be government assassins

And the thousands that saw Inconvenient Truth think they are experts on climate change.
it doesnt work, its a false belief system they are buying into
for instance I made an ex girlfriend watch "deep throat" over and over and she wasn't an expert at it
Cognito

Bourne

Post by Cognito »

I am a government assassin. It's good money and a great part-time job. 8)
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Nebankh

Post by Nebankh »

I've trapped Colin Farrell in a phone box at the corner of my road.
marduk

Post by marduk »

i've got Max Von Sydow locked in my cellar
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nebankh

Post by Nebankh »

So now you're including Home Movies?:D

Here's a little quiz for you Marduk - I doubt you'll want to win the prize but it's fun anyway

http://www.knightsofcydonia.com/

J