More Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

The speed that which technology is moving amazes me. When archaeologists started talking about not digging everything up at a site, I thought why not? If I was digging I would want to find out everything I could before it ended. Now with all the new things being invented I can see their point. Just imagine 50 years from now, the things people will be able to find out about the smallest article, not to mention the big stuff. :mrgreen:
marduk

Post by marduk »

Just imagine 50 years from now, the things people will be able to find out about the smallest article, not to mention the big stuff
Time is a great educator but it kills all its students
in 50 years most of us will probably be dead
:shock:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Leona Conner wrote:The speed that which technology is moving amazes me. When archaeologists started talking about not digging everything up at a site, I thought why not? If I was digging I would want to find out everything I could before it ended. Now with all the new things being invented I can see their point. Just imagine 50 years from now, the things people will be able to find out about the smallest article, not to mention the big stuff. :mrgreen:
The technology is amazing. I think in 50 years a lot of the questions we raise here will be long answered.
marduk

Post by marduk »

The technology is amazing. I think in 50 years a lot of the questions we raise here will be long answered.
most of the questions you raise here already have been answered
you just won't accept it because you can't see whats right in front of your face unless some pseudohistorian first endorses it
:twisted:
Nebankh

Post by Nebankh »

Quote:
most of the questions you raise here already have been answered
Heheh

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/ ... 373de.html
GALVESTON — The underwater explorers who spent last week scouring the offshore continental shelf for signs of 19,000-year-old human habitation sailed back to Galveston empty-handed Saturday.

The crew of geologists, biologists and marine archeologists was hoping to find clues of human activity in the area during the last Ice Age, when they believe the Texas coastline extended 100 miles into the Gulf of Mexico.

The expedition did not turn up anything definitive, but the scientists did find what they believe to be signs of the ancient shoreline about 330 feet below the ocean’s surface.
I'm not sure how much they expected to find in one week. It's got to be hundreds of square miles.

From The Daily Grail
Digit

Post by Digit »

They should have tried a map and a pin Beag.
marduk

Post by marduk »

The expedition did not turn up anything definitive, but the scientists did find what they believe to be signs of the ancient shoreline about 330 feet below the ocean’s surface.
I can see them announcing this
"although we utterly failed to find anything interesting we did find something thats common to every shoreline on earth"
:lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/23791.html
Mexican archaeologists found more than 100 bodies in 29 different pre-Hispanic tombs dating back about 2,000 years in Nayarit.
Raúl Barrera, who leads the archaeological project for the National Institute of Anthropology and History, or INAH, said most of the remains belonged to women between the ages of 35 and 40.

Archaeologists have not yet been able to determine which civilization the remains are from, although they know the find dates back to the period 200 B.C. to A.D. 600.

The tombs - located in vertical chambers - were in a type of burial ground found in Nayarit, Colima, Michoacán, Zacatecas and parts of Jalisco, but they have not been found in Mesoamerica.
There will probably be more to come on this.
From the Daily Grail.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I have very little hope that underwater archaeology will ever find anything to do with primitive man. If you look at the pictures that Charlie posts, in many cases you have to stare at them to see evidence of flaking. Underwater, for 10-15,000 years the actions of sea life and even the sea itself would conspire to hide that. What are they going to do? Pick up every rock and clean it off to see if someone made a tool out of it? It's absurd.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Marine archaeology

Post by Cognito »

I have very little hope that underwater archaeology will ever find anything to do with primitive man. If you look at the pictures that Charlie posts, in many cases you have to stare at them to see evidence of flaking. Underwater, for 10-15,000 years the actions of sea life and even the sea itself would conspire to hide that. What are they going to do? Pick up every rock and clean it off to see if someone made a tool out of it? It's absurd.
Min, you have a good point for the most part. However, environments such as the Black Sea (i.e. an inland "lake") have excellent potential for underwater arches due to anaerobic conditions. Everything preserves beautifully, even the wood. Finding remains under the sea? Agreed. For the most part, forget it. I guess that means people can quit looking for Atlantis in the Gulf of Cambay, right? :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If sea level keeps rising in short order we'll be looking for Miami underwater. Will provide a good case study of what sea water does to submerged cities.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070319/ ... 19-16.html
Its acoustics are extraordinary: a performer standing on the open-air stage can be heard in the back rows almost 60 metres away. Architects and archaeologists have long speculated about what makes the sound transmit so well.
So - were these amazing acoustics an accident, or was it by design?
From Archaeologica News.
8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Reminds me of that great scene in Life of Brian, where the people at the back of the crowd for the sermon on the mount can't quite hear Jesus...

"Blessed are the cheesemakers..........?"

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007- ... 962115.htm

MEXICO CITY, April 10 (Xinhua) -- Mexican archaeologists found remains of two women and a man that can be traced to more than 10,000 years ago in the Mayan area of Tulum, Mexico's National Anthropology and History Institute said in a statement on Tuesday.

The remains were being examined by laboratories in Britain, the United States and Mexico, all of which had said the remains were people between 10,000 and 14,500 years ago, said Carmen Rojas, an archaeologist quoted in the statement.

"This makes southeastern Mexico one of the few areas with a proven prehistoric presence in America," said Rojas.

From todays' News Section. Maybe these skulls can be thoroughly examined right away. I don't think the Native Americans have the same rights under Mexican law when it comes to claiming their dead.