Oh Christ!!

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Digit wrote:I don't know if Arch still reads this forum but it's a case of he's gone but not forgotten and I have to say that standing by the insurportable weakens what may be a genuine cause.
According to an article I read the other day the Quaran says the Mohammed taught that the sun disappears at the end of each day down a well and followers insist that the Quaran is the literal word of Allah.
Nuff said?

Yes he does. He reacted strongly the other day when I complimented Monk on being a worthy opponent.

He thinks he is worthier.

What do you say, Michelle? Can we have him back??
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

ravenwing5910 wrote:but could we try? :)
Ok by me. Believe me, there have been no fights on this thread. Just disagreements.
:wink:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Minimalist wrote: Yes he does. He reacted strongly the other day when I complimented Monk on being a worthy opponent.

He thinks he is worthier.
When it comes to apologetics, he is.
But thanks for the compliment, in any case.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I served an apprenticeship in the aircraft industry followed by some time on missile development, then one day I became aware of what 50 calibre bullets and 30mm cannon did to people. For a time I gave a lot of thought to entry into the Anglican community but soon became disallusioned, not with the Bible, but with the manner in which it was read and acted upon by some.
Strangely, what finished Christianity for me was not contradicions etc, for in the final event a person's beliefs are a matter of faith, but some that is in the Bible.
In the King James Bible Jesus is reputed to have cried out in his agony, 'my God, my God why hast thou forsaken me?'.
After much thought, and the passage of many years, I can still find no other explanation for that cry, if translated correctly, than the agony of man who realises that he is going to die on that stake and not be freed from his pain other than by his death.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

but could we try?

Of course, knowledge is always preferable to dogma. There is nothing wrong with asking any question. As I explained to marduk by PM (and we were actually conversing civilly and getting close to a reconcilation shortly before he was banned) it is no skin off my nose if someone wants to go looking for Atlantis in the Amazon jungle. It costs me nothing and anything they find will stand or fall on its own merits. Who knows? They might actually find something else that could be useful? HOwever, I have no patience with people who say "don't look or don't ask because it is impossible." That's the antithesis of science.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Minimalist wrote: it is no skin off my nose if someone wants to go looking for Atlantis in the Amazon jungle.
Didn't they already find Atlantis on Santorini? :wink:

What should my first question be....... How about ... "if we have been here for what roughly 6my, why didn't god show up till about 6 thousand years ago? which should have started with "when and how exactly did god show up? :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

ROTFLMAO!

As it so happens I had this exchange with Arch just the other day on another board.

He basically said that "god does not have to explain to me what he was doing before."

-- George Carlin
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah I've heard that one before :lol:

by the way what is ROTFLMAO? :?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I believe that God began to show up when we developed the Brocas' area in our brain. That was long ago and the area is also associated with speech.

I would refer you to the thread I started called"The God Part of the Brain".
8)
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

I'll try to find that thread
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

by the way what is ROTFLMAO
"Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My Ass Off" :lol:
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Beagle wrote:
by the way what is ROTFLMAO
"Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My Ass Off" :lol:

Oh, I like that!
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:What do you say, Michelle? Can we have him back??
That would not just be a "no", but a "hell no".
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I wonder what would happen if Marduk and Arch ever met? :twisted:
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Digit wrote:I wonder what would happen if Marduk and Arch ever met? :twisted:
Thermonuclear war – the home edition......
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.