Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Paleolithic Channel settlements?

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Megaflood 'made Island Britain'
By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News

The megaflood made Britain what it is today, geographically.

Britain became separated from mainland Europe after a catastrophic flood some time before 200,000 years ago, a sonar study of the English Channel confirms.

The images reveal deep scars on the Channel bed that must have been cut by a sudden, massive discharge of water.

Scientists tell the journal Nature that the torrent probably came from a giant lake in what is now the North Sea.

Some event - perhaps an earthquake - caused the lake's rim to breach at the Dover Strait, they believe.

Dr Sanjeev Gupta, from Imperial College London, and colleagues say the discharge would have been one of the most significant megafloods in recent Earth history, and provides an explanation for Britain's island status.

[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6904675.stm
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Anyone build an Ark?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

...Britain became separated from mainland Europe after a catastrophic flood some time before 200,000 years ago, a sonar study of the English Channel confirms.

The images reveal deep scars on the Channel bed that must have been cut by a sudden, massive discharge of water.

Scientists tell the journal Nature that the torrent probably came from a giant lake in what is now the North Sea.

Some event - perhaps an earthquake - caused the lake's rim to breach at the Dover Strait, they believe...
The Sangamonian Interglacial (sensu lato) lasted from 80,000 to ca. 220,000 BP. The Illinoian glacial advance occurred 220,000 to 430,000 BP. Perhaps rapid meltdown of glaciers is to blame?
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Charlie Hatchett wrote:The Sangamonian Interglacial (sensu lato) lasted from 80,000 to ca. 220,000 BP. The Illinoian glacial advance occurred 220,000 to 430,000 BP. Perhaps rapid meltdown of glaciers is to blame?
Perhaps, but I doubt the glaciers melted rapidly. It takes a lot of calories to melt a glacier.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

They don't melt rapidly but they do seem to melt into large lakes which sooner or later let go and take a lot of things in their path.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Forum Monk wrote:
Charlie Hatchett wrote:The Sangamonian Interglacial (sensu lato) lasted from 80,000 to ca. 220,000 BP. The Illinoian glacial advance occurred 220,000 to 430,000 BP. Perhaps rapid meltdown of glaciers is to blame?
Perhaps, but I doubt the glaciers melted rapidly. It takes a lot of calories to melt a glacier.
Minimalist wrote:They don't melt rapidly but they do seem to melt into large lakes which sooner or later let go and take a lot of things in their path.
True. I guess a rapid meltdown isn't necessary. Just a constant flow of additional water. Seems things were thawing out right around 200,000 B.P.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Charlie Hatchett wrote:
Minimalist wrote:They don't melt rapidly but they do seem to melt into large lakes which sooner or later let go and take a lot of things in their path.
True. I guess a rapid meltdown isn't necessary. Just a constant flow of additional water. Seems things were thawing out right around 200,000 B.P.
The speed of melting is moot here, methinks. It doesn't really matter at what particular point in time 'dams' breach. Imo, the point is that they do breach, sooner or later!
The Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the Great lakes, the Channel, etc. etc.

The Himalaya glaciers are the current 'hotspot' for 'breach threats': http://observer.guardian.co.uk/internat ... 56,00.html, threatening the lives and livelihoods of millions of people.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Those people live in constant threat anyway. What's one more?

In'sh Allah!

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Oh, and for those who might be, if not exactly "interested" then "amused" it is being reported at Koko's that Arch is now on a Christian Forum holding that this flood is proof of friggin' Noah. Even though its in the wrong place at the wrong time Arch just KNOWS that Noah was involved.

He's apparently getting his head handed to him by other christians!

-- George Carlin
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

Here's a paper about a glacier-melt lake in my area that used to empty annually until about 35 years ago. Maybe something like this but on a much more massive scale was at work at/near the Channel?

http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic16-1-26.pdf
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

Very informative article mayo. I enjoyed reading it and learned a new term, varves which can be used like tree rings to discover the age of these glacial melt lakes.
Min, nice to know that Arch is alive and well and still antagonizing people all over the web. :lol:

Star
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Digit

Post by Digit »

[quote]Anyone build an Ark?[quote]

We'd go to almost any lengths to keep the Frogs out Min. Even digging the ENGLISH Channel! :lol:
Charlie Hatchett

He's apparently getting his head handed to him by other christians!
:lol:

Yeah, your Flood Model types think the Cambrian through Cretaceous strata (and possibly early parts of the Tertiary) is the flood strata. I'm guessing the carved up chalk is Cretaceous, which means it was layed down before this hypothesized dam burst.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'm guessing the carved up chalk is Cretaceous,
It is Charlie. To be fair to all who have a flood story, they are beginning to look more and more like history though.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Its true that ice-dams form from glaciers as they block rivers and streams and when they break the results can be catastrophic. We see evidence of these events in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. http://www.iafi.org/ and central asia.

But I think the terrain must be suited to the formation of ice-dams in the first place. I am not aware of many major ice dams which have occurred in non-moutainous regions.