Big Doings in Mexico!

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Big Doings in Mexico!

Post by Minimalist »

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200708 ... MVSG0.html
MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexican archaeologists using ground-penetrating radar have detected underground chambers they believe contain the remains of Emperor Ahuizotl, who ruled the Aztecs when Columbus landed in the New World. It would be the first tomb of an Aztec ruler ever found.

The find could provide an extraordinary window into Aztec civilization at its apogee. Ahuizotl (ah-WEE-zoh-tuhl), an empire-builder who extended the Aztecs' reach as far as Guatemala, was the last emperor to complete his rule before the Spanish Conquest.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Because no Aztec royal tomb has ever been found, the archaeologists are literally digging into the unknown. Radar indicates the tomb has up to four chambers, and scientists think they will find a constellation of elaborate offerings to the gods on the floor.
The possibilities of what may be found are really neat. There's probably a treasure trove of gold but I'm hoping for books, since the Spanish priests burned almost all of them. In any case I'm sure a lot of knowledge will be gained.

Maybe they'll decide to sacrifice a few more Spanish buildings. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Maybe we could sacrifice a few Spaniards?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:Maybe we could sacrifice a few Spaniards?
Naaah, they don't taste good.
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Saw the news item earlier and got the impression the chamber (if that are what it be) may be waterlogged, so maybe no books unfortunately. Still, it's exciting nonetheless. Ahuizotl is my historical role model bar none. What a guy!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Just read a story in the local paper about this and while it is true that the tomb is flooded the team does not seem all that upset. They think the water (which is ph-neutral) will help prevent decay of organic artifacts and will even more importantly keep oxygen away from them.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Fr. Duran's Historia de los Indios de Nueva Espagna (1581) goes into some detail describing Ahuizotl's cremation, along with a brief description of all the funerary gifts and offerings which were then buried (with the ashes, I'm guessing). Duran is usually pretty reliable and is generally recognised as the most sympathetic of the colonial sources (Sahagun was much more detailed, but more scathing). So in theory, if this is the same thing, no royal stiff but loads of goodies.