private collections

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

private collections

Post by kbs2244 »

From today’s news page.

Does anybody have any comments on a procedure for cases like this?
They are not all that uncommon.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/st ... 863&page=1

Clearly illegal, but completely unknown.
My thoughts are:
Since the guy is clearly old, get as much info from him as you can before he dies.
So, you don't just grab the stuff from him.
Assign a grad student, one with a lot of patience, to catalog the stuff AT HIS HOUSE, where he feels comfortable and willing to talk.
Let him hold the stuff and think back about where and when he found it. Who his buddies were. (Can you spell “leads?”)
Why did he think there was anything there? (More leads.)
If the cataloging turns up something of real value, explain that a real expert may have to come visit and view the item. MAYBE even take to a lab for examination.
In other words mine him for information.
But let him keep most of the stuff around, to keep him cooperative, until he dies. Then cart it off to a museum basement.
All “providence” has already been lost, so we are not losing anything but time use this approach. .
And if the kids know “Papa” will be treated with respect, and not like a criminal, how many other “collections” might show up?
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

The Texas Historical Commision's stewardship program sent the syeards a suggested method for documenting collections. They aren't illegal here. It is leagl to do whatever you want with artifacts you find on your property. It is only illegal to pick up artifacts on public land. Therefore there are lots of so called "arrowhead collections" around.Basically you do as you suggested and mine them for information and record all the artifacts. You can suggest donating them for study or to a museum, but out of their original context the only info you're likely to get is what the collector tells you. Leads. They'll probably take all his stuff and prosecute him and all the artefacts will be stored away somewhere.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Perhaps the authorities are merely jealous of his talent?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

To describe someone – who collected and excavated for decades, and brought together a 'stash' of over 12,000 valuable items (a museum would be very jealous!) – as a 'dillettante archaeologist' is pitiful.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Translation: He does not have a Club Card.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin