Ancient Pyramid Found - Mexico City

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Ancient Pyramid Found - Mexico City

Post by Beagle »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071228/sc_ ... CQaLME1vAI
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Archeologists have discovered the ruins of an 800-year-old Aztec pyramid in the heart of the Mexican capital that could show the ancient city is at least a century older than previously thought.

Mexican archeologists found the ruins, which are about 36 feet high, in the central Tlatelolco area, once a major religious and political centre for the Aztec elite.

Since the discovery of another pyramid at the site 15 years ago, historians have thought Tlatelolco was founded by the Aztecs in 1325, the same year as the twin city of Tenochtitlan nearby, the capital of the Aztec empire, which the Spanish razed in 1521 to found Mexico City, conquering the Aztecs.

The pyramid, found last month as part of an investigation begun in August, could have been built in 1100 or 1200, signaling the Aztecs began to develop their civilization in the mountains of central Mexico earlier than believed.
The Aztecs are older than thought. 8)
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Thanks for the link. For some reason I'm presently unable to navigate between the news pages and this forum in one go.

I must admit, although official Mexica history claims they were the first to settle the island*, Tlatelolco (at the northern end of the island) just sort of turns up fully-formed in there somewhere. and I've definitely come across the odd author hinting at ideas that Tlatelolco might have been established at some point prior to Tenochtitlan.

* Mind you, official Mexica history claims a lot of things regarding being first, best, biggest, longest, most entertaining, most humble, more modest than any other tribe and so on.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"Official" histories always do that. Kind of goes with the territory!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Minimalist wrote:"Official" histories always do that. Kind of goes with the territory!
It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but I must admit I do enjoy historical boasting. One of my favourites is a story of how, prior to settling down, the nomadic Mexica were so feared (obviously) in the Valley of Mexico that the ruler of Colhuacan decided to give them some land of their own - this was Tizaapan, a barren stretch of volcanic rock infested by poisonous snakes, the hope being that the Mexica would all be killed off by said snakes. Of course, the Mexica being the Mexica simply ate all the snakes and then sent a message to the ruler of Colhuacan thanking him for such a great camp site with such an abundance of viddels (if that's the word).
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That story is a new one on me WA. Thanks. Keep on telling us these tidbits. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That is a great story....now I know where we got our Indian policy from.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin