The Merneptah Stele

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Beagle wrote:I've read somewhere that only 1% of the archaeology has been done in that area of the world. I guess we have to wait on a lot of evidence,

Somehow they manage to find Phoenecian, Philistine and Egyptian artifacts from that time period, not to mention proto-Israelite (to steal Dever's term). "Absence of Evidence" seems to be highly specific to the bible story.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

John:
That depends entirely on who wrote it and for what reason and for what audience.
I mentioned in another post how the Greeks put down Thrace as a land of cave dwelling barbarians.
But lately we have been finding stuff that would put the best Greek artesian to shame.
When a Chicago Museum had a Cleopatra exhibit they showed the stone equalvent of a political cartoon. It showed Marc Anthony having carnal knowledge with an alligator that had the face of Cleopatra.
It just goes to show that, even if it is carved in stone, it may be showing just one side of the story.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Greeks thought everyone who wasn't a Greek was a barbarian.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin