Our British Cousins

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/EgyptOnline/Cu ... 000933.htm

Secretary General of Egypt's Supreme council of Antiquities(ESCA) Zahi Hawwas slammed statements by British Professor Barry Kemp and Professor Jerry Rose, of the University of Arkansas, USA, distorting the history of pharaonic King Akhenaten and the construction of his city in Amarna.
Enough of this talk! Zahi doesn't like what we're saying. :lol:
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Hawwas termed as nonsense the statements on Akhenaten that, he said, were not based on any admissible scientific proofs.

Building Akhenaten city was an obsession for ancient Egyptians like the Giza Pyramids and workers wanted to realise a national achievement to be proud of, he said.
Like ...he would really know!
Digit

Post by Digit »

workers wanted to realise a national achievement to be proud of,
And his scientific proofs are--?
Anyone got an emoticon for foot in mouth I wonder?
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He added that ancient labourers used to live beside the royal palace and get the best food daily to be able to continue their work.

There are days when Zahi should just STFU.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

It may be some time before these guys get permission for another dig.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

LOL. Yeah, the Club (and Zahi is President) will never hesitate to retaliate against someone who pisses them off.

Is Zahi trying to suggest that common laborers ate pheasant under glass? WTH is he thinking? Nothing these fellows say is terribly earthshaking.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Yep. I tried to watch the show on BBC via the link that Ishtar provided, but all I could get was a written summary (a good one) and short clips of interviews (also good). I may be doing something wrong.

Anyway, after that I'm more convinced than ever that these people were poorly treated and may even possibly be conscripted against their will. Zahi will deny that anything like that was possible in ancient Egypt. He'll probably say it was a disease.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Probably both.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Beagle wrote:Yep. I tried to watch the show on BBC via the link that Ishtar provided, but all I could get was a written summary (a good one) and short clips of interviews (also good). I may be doing something wrong.
Beags, if you PM me your email address, I can email the right page to you that shows the whole programme.

If it still doesn't work then, I guess it means there's some piece of digi tech in the way that deliberately prevents BBC programmes from being shown outside of the licence area.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Ishtar, I'll do that. :)