The Experts on Blondes

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

See. I think that's fairly typical.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Blondes

Post by Cognito »

Ishtar, I don't particularly think the article is valid from the standpoint of central tendency. The author makes the supposition that men were removed from the gene pool in significant numbers due to the hazards of hunting game, and to such an extent that women needed to compete drastically for a male. I don't see that on two accounts:

1. Men are typically trying to spread their seed to the maximum amount of females possible in order to ensure their legacy. If the situation happened as the author said, men would have many mates (even in a monogamous society). Conversely, where women are scarce, the reverse is true and they pick and choose whoever they want, whenever they want.

2. An imbalance in the male/female ratio in a population is invariably and historically returned to a near equal ratio within a few generations. Nature does not like imbalance.

Central tendency is the great leveler of IQ and a variety of outlying attributes. The author's conclusion is based on a shaky premise. If food was so damn scarce, then move south where it is more plentiful. Sheesh. :roll:

Don't get me wrong: I love blondes. However, if given a choice between a so-so looking blonde and a well-built brunette -- I'm going with the superior equipment every time. :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If hunting casualties were all that common the group would not have lived long enough to worry about reproduction in the first place. I'm sure it happened but if every hunt cost them a dead hunter I imagine they would have started hunting something a little less dangerous in short order.

They may have been horny cavemen but I doubt they were stupid.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Yes, that makes sense Cogs. And I doubt they practised monogamy then ... or at least not as strictly as we do today.

If there were 10 women all vying for the same one rare man, I can't imagine him picking one and turning the other nine away. :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Min's being logical again! Nobody's going wrestle alligators when he can net a fish. If that were the case then that would probably result in all the dummies going extinct.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Min's being logical again!

It's a character flaw.

:oops:

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Pity more aren't so afflicted then Min.
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Actually I remember recently reading a study about this.

Blue eyed men preferred blue eyed women. It makes it easier to identify one's own offspring. The preference was not nearly so strong among brown eyed men.
john

Post by john »

Ishtar wrote:Why do gentlemen prefer blondes?

Signed

A Blonde Butnotsodumb :lol:
Ishtar -

Recent American cultural history.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Loos

I read the book about a zillion years ago - its a great

example of what I call "trash reading", superficial and mildly entertaining.

Obviously, it became iconic.
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Ishtar wrote:Interesting! I think we should do a survey. Anyone else prefer redheads? :lol:
Yep! 16 year old, petite (5'), super slim redheads are at the top of my list! So teenage Ukrainian gymnast girls, really. But I wouldn't throw Anna Nicole Smith or Salma Hayek out of my bed either. The other end of the spectrum, afaic.

I.o.w. it doesn't matter in practice.

:lol:
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

yeah that's a wide spectrum, especially since Anna Nicole Smith is dead. So apparemtly "a hole and a heartbeat" doesn't quite cover your standards.

(Also, we'd get introuble here for 16 year olds.)
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

You haven't moved this?