What makes an Historian tick ?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

CShark

What makes an Historian tick ?

Post by CShark »

I am willing to bet that most of us here have similar hobbies, likes, and dislikes. As it happens, I am also a computer geek, hardcore - programmer for over 25 years, hardware guru, etc. As such, I have been stereotyped into liking Monty Python, British humour, Star Trek, and obscure music (not the usual top 40 drivel). All of which is true, by the way.

As an amateur historian (keyword being amateur!), I have 'traits' that seem to be in line with others who share this passion: a love of reading, putting more importance on past events than the present, think old buildings far more interesting than new ones, enjoy classical music, and don't understand/appreciate dance, artsy things (theatre, acting, etc.), or loud, repititious music.

I am certainly missing some attributes, or perhaps you disagree with me on what traits we share. Would like to hear your comments on this!

Cheers.
Bob
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Hmmm... with you on quite a lot of that, though I've been a blue collar schmoe 20 years, computer illiterate for most of that time, and only on the internet for two (or is it three?) years. Star Trek's good but I much prefer Doctor Who (not the revamped version) for whatever difference that makes. Obscure music yes, but much of it loud obnoxious and repetitive I'm afraid, although that said I don't think there's a single genre that doesn't contain something I'd rate highly.
Tend to read a lot of fiction, with a slight bias towards science-fiction (though not of the galactic empire of killer robots variety) but also er... Will Self, DH Lawrence, DBC Pierre, Bukowski and others.
Big art lover but draw the line at about 1930.

Er.... PJ O'Rourke er....

Er... not sure if any of that helps. I suspect my vast collection of aggressive rap CDs probably saves me from being a complete cliche. Or maybe not.

By the way everyone, I'm due to move flat, and will probably be unplugging the computer tomorrow, so I'll be away a few weeks. Take care everyone and "see" you all soon. :D
CShark

Is a group of Archeologists called a Confusion ?

Post by CShark »

War Arrow: did you say 'rap music' :shock: :shock: :shock:
Isn't that an oxy-moron ? :wink: Funny how so many of my Brit friends are fans of Dr. Who, something that is not big over here. As for Trek, I am not a trekkie (or is that Trekker..?) but I did enjoy Enterprise, TNG and Voyager.

Science fiction is the pretty much the only fiction I read, barring the books previously mentioned.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers,
Bob
Digit

Post by Digit »

And there was me thinking I was unique!
Blast!