Tribute to Arthur C. Clarke

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Tribute to Arthur C. Clarke

Post by Beagle »

http://lucis.net/stuff/clarke/9billion_clarke.html

Arthur C. Clarke has passed away at the age of 90.

Here is a famous short story of his called:

"The 9 Billion Names of God"
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

So few Golden Age sci-fi writers are now left. But i still think that it won't be long before their collected works are given the literary attention they have always deserved. Centuries from now Sci-Fi will be the literary tradition that defines Western culture in the 20th.

i can never remember the name of my favorite Clarke story. It's the one where the 'aliens' are coming back to Earth and sending a radio message about their return and about Earth's history before them. Most humans had left the planet ages before when i terrible disease disfigured much of the population. Today's earthlings were descendants of those who remained behind. At the end of the message the returning branch of humanity says........

...and if any of you are still white, we can cure you.

Very powerful story. Several of my teacher friends have read it to their classes after i introduced it to them. Clarke wrote many short stories that ended in powerful punchlines like the one above. It's one of the reasons i liked his writing so much.
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's called Reunion Beag.
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Digit wrote:It's called Reunion Beag.
i think you meant that for me rather than Beagle, but thanks! To me the name of the story just isn't as important as its message. i figure that is why i can never remember it. That and my brain is often full so sometimes things leak out.....especially during tax season.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sorry Dan, been reading too many posts tonight.
Arthur, of course had many very wide ranging topics that he wrote about. After his divorce he never re-married and rumours circulated that he was Gay, which he strenously denied.
He was accused of impropriety with his servants in Sri Lanka and put off the visit by Prince Charles so that the Prince might not be embarrased.
In typical Clarke fashion he kiled the rumours by pointing out that he had had prostate cancer and had been impotent for ten years!
He had a long running, albeit, frendly dispute with Isaac Azimov and came up with his three laws as a contrast to Azimov's Three Laws of Robotics.
My favourite story about the two of them is based on Clarke's presumed dislike of women and Azimov's fear of flying.
Clarke attended a symphosium in London and flew from Sri Lanka, Asimov crossed the Atlantic by ship and Clarke taunted him by asking when was he going to fly, Azimov replied that he would fly to Clarke's wedding!
I hope it's true!
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Knowing those two i bet it is very true....grumpy old man style :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.space.com/php/video/player.p ... 319-Clarke

AC Clarke on the International Space University.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXQ7rNgWwg

Sir Arthurs last words to the world on his 90th birthday in Sri Lanka
in Dec. 2007.