Large Viking Coin Hoard Found

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

CShark

Large Viking Coin Hoard Found

Post by CShark »

"Hundreds of ancient coins unearthed last week close to Sweden's main international airport suggests the Vikings were bringing home foreign currency earlier than previously thought, archaeologists say.
"

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... hoard.html

Very cool find. I like this quote especially: "...and suggests they may have engaged in intensive overseas trade earlier than previously believed"

I bet it was intensive!!!
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Actually, from what I know about the Swedish style of Viking, it would be more likely that it shows how extensive their inland, river based, trading went.
It was the Norwegians and Danes that went west and south to Britain, Europe and even the west and north coasts of Africa.
But the Swedes were not likely to get to Damascus or Baghdad by ocean. But we know they got to the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea by river.
Some claim the reason for Moscow ‘s location is that it was on a portage route from north flowing rivers to south flowing.
CShark

Post by CShark »

kbs2244 wrote:Actually, from what I know about the Swedish style of Viking, it would be more likely that it shows how extensive their inland, river based, trading went.
Of course, you are correct. It seems trading in silver was an ordianry occurance. The Vikings I am used to reading about are those that attacked Lindisfarne in 793, then went on to nearly conquer all of Britain as well as parts (?) of Ireland. Names like Guthred, Ivor the Boneless, and Erik Bloodaxe come to mind.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Ivor the Boneless, and Erik Bloodaxe
Great names those guys had, huh?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Minimalist wrote:
Ivor the Boneless, and Erik Bloodaxe
Great names those guys had, huh?
No doubt this describes relatives we all have.
CShark

Ivar the Boneless

Post by CShark »

There was a television program about Ivar. This chap was born with a rare bone disease (can't remember the name). His theory was that Ivar had the same illness, and even though he was 'handicapped', he was chosen as ruler, carried around on a shield as he did not have the use of his legs. Interesting premise, but hardly likely imho.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah, doesn't seem likely that such a person would survive infancy let alone grow up to be king.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin