Zen and the Shamanic

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

john

Zen and the Shamanic

Post by john »

All -

http://www.terebess.hu/english/oxherding.html

This way of thinking is, literally,

Older than God.

Some might call it - even - Shamanic.

Boats, hematite.

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
woodrabbit

Post by woodrabbit »

John.....so many threads?

Zen is not older than god. Your Taoist big Sumi brush poetic approach strikes me as antithetical to your audience.
Personally I am confused as to where you are heading with these glib Zen links and its relevance to Shamanism in contemporary Archeology?

I read all your posts and I only get your intent on the second or third read,.... and I'm a big fan of boats, hematite AND Taoism. This crowd strikes me as more provincial.
Its more complicated than it seems.
john

Post by john »

woodrabbit wrote:John.....so many threads?

Zen is not older than god. Your Taoist big Sumi brush poetic approach strikes me as antithetical to your audience.
Personally I am confused as to where you are heading with these glib Zen links and its relevance to Shamanism in contemporary Archeology?

I read all your posts and I only get your intent on the second or third read,.... and I'm a big fan of boats, hematite AND Taoism. This crowd strikes me as more provincial.
Woodrabbit -

Look backwards. To fire hardened Chinese scapulae, among other things. The ultimate lack of self is characteristic of the Shamanic, and, far later, Zen. Unless there is a reverse time machine involved here, I'd say that the Zen folks learned from the Shamans.

john

ps

Are you saying that the ten oxherding pictures are "glib"?

They sure as hell aren't glib to me.

j
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
woodrabbit

Post by woodrabbit »

John.....regarding the 10 Ox herding pictures being glib,... surely not, just the quick link in the current context.
Its more complicated than it seems.