Lake Study from the Sahara

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Lake Study from the Sahara

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/scien ... ref=slogin
Six thousand years ago, northern Africa was a place of trees, grasslands, lakes and people. Today, it is the Sahara — a desolate area larger area than Australia.

Lake Yoa, in northeastern Chad, has remained a lake through the millennia and is still a lake today, surrounded by hot desert. Although little rain falls, Lake Yoa’s water is replenished from an underground aquifer.

By analyzing thousands of layers sediment in a core drilled from the bottom of this lake, an international team of scientists has reconstructed the region’s climate as the savannah changed to Sahara.

In Friday’s issue of the journal Science, the researchers, led by Stefan Kröpelin, a geologist with the Institute of Prehistoric Archaeology at the University of Cologne in Germany, report that the climate transition occurred gradually.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Seems we chose almost the same instant to post this story. LOL!
So I cut my post. Only got the picture left...: