More on Satellite Archaeology

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

More on Satellite Archaeology

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 112348.htm
ScienceDaily (May 14, 2008) — Satellite imagery obtained from NASA will help archeologist Bill Middleton peer into the ancient Mexican past. In a novel archeological application, multi- and hyperspectral data will help build the most accurate and most detailed landscape map that exists of the southern state of Oaxaca, where the Zapotec people formed the first state-level and urban society in Mexico.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

This is the kind of thing that is going to change the “science” forever.
Already we have examples in Italy of a guy finding a site via Goggle Earth that no one suspected was there.
The roads across Arabia and the Amazon basin and who knows what else.
It is just to bad boats do not leave trails.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

kbs2244 wrote:It is just to bad boats do not leave trails.
If paleoboats are anywhere to be found I'm betting it is under a thick layer of Toba ash, now offshore of Sumatra.
To locate and get at them is extremely difficult, but when they do dig/fish them up, they might reveal beautifully preserved specimens. And we can already predict their age: 75,000 years BP...
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

“They had the first writing system, the first state society, the first cities.
Apart from the Olmecs of course, unless I'm getting my dates wrong (though might be true about the writing system).
It all sounds canny but I must confess, having read the article, I'm still at a loss as to what advantage there might be in this whole deal with the satellite technology.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

More on remote satellite imaging for archaeological surveys:
http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/lab/remote_sensing.html