From the Sumerian Ishtar to Bouticelli's Venus

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Ishtar wrote:I didn't know there was a movie called Ishtar. I hate to think what Hollywood would have done to her! Was she played by Julia Roberts! :lol: :lol:
There's a Quetzalcoatl film called Q - The Feathered Serpent or somesuch: Quetzalcoatl is actually some prehistoric monster that builds a nest in the Empire State Building, or something like that. Nope. Haven't seen it.

As for Monsieur Le Plongeon (?), it gets a big thumbs down from me. For starters, take a look at those dates. Nothing really supports Mayan civilisation being any older than it is generally (at present) believed to be.

Mind you, if someone had the skill and intellect to be able to photoshop a load of photos of Isis and Queen Moo, I absolutely guarantee that I'd be 100% convinced.