AOC

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

rich

AOC

Post by rich »

Ahh - it's good to be retired and get to play. Love this game!!! Age of Conan. Better'n WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0laVXbZ ... re=related

I know - I know - I'm supposed to be too old for games. But player vs player games are GOOOOOD! Lotsa' fun!
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah.

I've been playing computer games for years. Even worked as a modder on a team for Rome Total Realism.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Er.... Dude! (?)
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

i haven't gotten into Conan, but i'll be building a new machine to play Warhammer. AoC seemed cool, but not enough to drop $1500 on. i may try it out in a year or so when i need a break from WAR.

i never played WoW, although i was in the Friends and Family Alpha. There simply isn't any point to playing a grinding, gear based game. WoW PvP is worthless because of the gear issue. i even quit EQ only held my interest til about lvl35.

DAoC, however, was magic. For a year or so i was one of the best Battle Druids in the world. i could take out any original class of equivalent RR as well as most of the expansion classes. i miss those days. For the first 18 months after launch i averaged 40hrs/week playtime. Back then i only worked 25-30 hours. Sadly, it won't be the same this time around.
rich

Post by rich »

Yeah - EQ was eh - ok. WOW was better until they "imported" some of the devs from EQ and started changing it more and more to aboosted version of EQ. Even then I never really had a problem with PVP - but then I love that.
And yup - it can get expensive building a new machine everytime a new one comes out. Most people don't realize what it takes to run the games smooth and end up with tons of problems trying to run - lag and poor graphics 'n stuff. With AoC you definitely need to get a good video card tho. I put a totally separate harddrive in with Vista64 bit on it just so there's nothing else on it but AoC. Then I switch back to this drive for everything else.
AoC still has its problems but they're working the bugs in it out. Still beats WOW. Gotsta see what Darkfall Online is like when (and IF) it ever comes out. Guess I'll probably end up building another machine for that too. I've probably got more highend gaming machines around than most. It's FUN tho!!!!! :D 'Specially pvp!
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

So did you ever play DAoC?
rich

Post by rich »

Nope - never really got into it. Couple of friends in the guild I was in wanted me to get into it but - eh - guess I just never got to it. Then I saw AoC and Darkfall were going to be coming out and - -. :D
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

So i take it you prefer FFA. Does that mean you started MMOs with UO?
rich

Post by rich »

Actually no. My oldest son had it for a while - of course dad ended up building the computer for that - which wasn't bad. Then my second son got into that and anarchy - and by the time my third son got into it is when I decided - hey - I'm putting these machines together for their games and they're better than my business machines so - - .
Never used to play games on them until then. Then I got hooked. :D
Now they moved out and I'm stuck with their old machines and a few of mine. Computer fairs - gotta love 'em. But it's still costly.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

War Arrow wrote:Er.... Dude! (?)

You ain't kidding. I've got socks that are older than some of the kids on the team.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Yeah, its easy to get hooked on MMOs. i pulled that needle outta my vein after almost 3years of DAoC and i regret it everyday. Damn real life keeps getting in the way of gaming!

Min and WA, keep in mind that at 35 i am still youngish for a gamer. The generations that came after me have larger numbers, but computer gaming has actually been around longer than i've been alive. Even as a kid working at my father's shop (my first job that wasn't a paper route was repairing Commodore 64s and selling software) there were many older people who were as into as i was. The first text adventure on a mainframe (at IBM maybe?) was in the late 60s. Things have snowballed since, but the ancient games are sometimes still the best.

Currently i am playing Alternate Reality on an Atari 800 emulator. i also have the Commodore 64 and PC versions, but it was originally written on the Atari so that version is naturally the best. Even today though, AR is one of the greatest computer games ever made. It's just too bad it was never finished. The creator said for years that a modern version would be done, but he hasn't been heard from since 04.

So in short, its never too late to start a gaming addiction.
rich

Post by rich »

Ah - the old Atari 800s - they were built like tanks. My first was the timex sinclair - lol - with the added memory stick it had 16K. And the modems - sheesh - I can remember 300 baud when they first started in and I got onto Compuserve. Wow - talk about old. :D
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

300 baud was a dream for reading. The text came through so slow there was no need to pause at the end of each screen!
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Last game I played was that tennis thing with two black squares zipping up and down left and right to bop a third black square back and forth. This was in 1987 so I think it's safe to say I lack the gaming gene.

Chess is good though.