Seastallion returns

Got an event or lecture you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Pippin

Seastallion returns

Post by Pippin »

Hi

The worlds longest reconstruction of a viking ship returns to Roskilde in Denmark this saturday. It sailed from Roskilde to Ireland last year and have sailed back this year.
www.seastallion.dk

Pippin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That is beautiful. I never knew that Vikings wore lime-green rain hats, though.

Should there be horns or something?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Hi

The last viking died about 1000 years ago, and no viking wore horns on helmets.

The trip is a scientific journey and not roleplay/SCA. The kind of clothes have no bearing on the way the ship sail.

Kim
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm just teasing you, Pip.

Although there are reenactors running around loose out there.

You're right about the helmets, though .....no one in their right mind would wear a horned helmet into a battle. Great way to get your neck broken.[/url]
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Just looks like an average Sunday afternoon in Warwickshire where I grew up. Plenty of latter-day Vikings around there.
That's why I live down here.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Hi

The funny thing is that all the reenactors on your picture wear Norman helmets, of the few scandinavian helmets from viking age looks like that, they look more like the helmet from Sutton Hoo.

Pippin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I always figured that armor (as long as it wasn't dented too badly) would be re-cycled. Groups could get to look like a fairly ragtag bunch if they kept fighting different people and winning.

-- George Carlin