"Stupid" Neandertal upgraded

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

Do you, I wonder, have to have no imagination, strong prejudices, little logic and no common sense to be a famous archaeologist I wonder?
It certainly looks that way at times.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Perhaps it is a two-step process, Dig.

1. You assume that what you learned is correct and therefore;

2. You apply the idea that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" to anything new.

The disconnect comes because you never consider that there was no "extraordinary evidence" to support the ideas that you now hold dear when they were first formulated.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

In general I go with that Min, but even as a kid I began to doubt some of these guys.
Years ago one of you museums donated casts of some large dinos bones to various museums around the world. Have you ever seen how the Berlin recipients assembled those of I believe were a Brachiosaurus?
Haven't been able to locate any images but they assembled it so that the feet were on pillars as its chest was lower, so entrenched was Crocodilian idea.
Then of course dactyls couldn't fly. No creature with a wing area like that is unable to fly. It was like looking at a Brachiosaur and saying, yes it has feet but it couldn't possibly walk', or a Coelacanth and saying it could possibly swim.
Yet they seemed to believe it. I didn't!
It was rubbish!
If anyone can locate an image of the Berlin dino on its plinth I'd like to see it again, if only for the mirth.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

LOL....a 20 ton croc with a 35 foot neck? Amusing.

Of course, they didn't just "learn" these things. They got their doctorates based on it. I think over time that leads to some hardening of the intellectual artieries.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

And yet another Neanderthal reconstruction for our delectation.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... 0431313175

Roy.
pattylt

Post by pattylt »

Darn,
I was hoping for a sound bite of HS speaking. I have also heard that due to the placement of the voice box, they would have had a higher pitch than us, making them sound kinda girly.
I always like a dog so long as he isn't spelled backward.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

OTOH, they'd have had a great soprano section in a chorus.

-- George Carlin
pattylt

Post by pattylt »

So does the San Fransisco All Gay Men's Choir! :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I was going to post a similar comment Patty, but my sense of humour has gotten me into trouble on other fora, so I ducked. :lol:
We're much broader church here I think.

Roy.
pattylt

Post by pattylt »

Have you ever heard these guys? They are amazing!
Digit

Post by Digit »

No, I must confess that I haven't.

Roy.