Rork art site is a "History Book"

All points south!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Rork art site is a "History Book"

Post by kbs2244 »

From today’s news page.
New rock art site find in Australia is a “history book”

I guess this is proof of what some of us have been saying.
It is just too close and too big for people not to know it was there.
I guess the only question I have is what happened 50 years ago to stop the pratice?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=10535901

Arnhem Land, jutting into the Arafura Sea at the top of Australia, has always been a special place for Aboriginal people.
Just how special has been reinforced by the discovery of an extraordinary collection of rock art recording life in the area for the past 15,000 years, until 50 years ago.
Alongside ancient paintings of thylacines, a mammal long extinct on the mainland, are images documenting modern-day inventions - a car, a bicycle wheel, a biplane and a rifle - as well as portraits of a missionary and a sea captain.
The paintings suggest that the people of northern Australia have been interacting with seafaring visitors from Asia and Europe for hundreds, possibly thousands, of years.

The scientists surveying the paintings with the help of a local Aboriginal elder, Ronald Lamilami, say they represent possibly the longest continuous record in the world. "This seems to have been a key location where people went back again and again, adding to the art over thousands of years and many hundreds of generations," Professor Paul Tacon, an archaeologist from Griffith University in Queensland, said last week.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I guess the only question I have is what happened 50 years ago to stop the pratice?
A good question...

How about a little blatant speculation? Perhaps the task was the ancestral custom of one particular clan or family whose last member died out?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

That is as good a guess as any at this point.
“That was the responsibility of so and so’s family, and he died without an heir, so nobody ever went there again.”
It will be worth a watching to see what else they come up with.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I can guess with the best of them.

I should be a weatherman.....or a stock broker!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Choices

Post by Cognito »

I should be a weatherman.....or a stock broker!
At least a weatherman still believable part of the time. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid