South Africa Claims Earliest Modern Men

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

South Africa Claims Earliest Modern Men

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/ ... ?id=870649
Fossil evidence of Homo sapiens has been found at several sites across Africa, including two 195000-year-old skulls in Ethiopia. But a Mossel Bay site has thrown up the oldest known evidence of “modern” human behaviour — evidenced by complex tools and dyes used for rock art. This evidence is 164000 years old — by far the oldest known signs of the kind of collective behaviour considered the hallmark of “modern man”.

Marean said: “Those other areas (in Africa) don’t have the same evidence for behavioural complexity that we see here.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Worked ochres

Post by Ishtar »

Here is another version of this story, with a picture of worked ochres found at the site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/ ... 049597.stm
Ochres are viewed as important indicators of advanced behaviour - the use of colour for symbolism. And although the powders can have a functional use, as an ingredient in glue, the persistent choice of the brightest hues suggests some abstract activity is being undertaken, such as body painting.

Being able to conceptualise - the ability to let one thing represent another - was a giant leap in human evolution. It was the mental activity that would eventually permit the development of sophisticated language and maths.

To unearth worked ochres at Pinnacle Point at this time, near the base of the time period when modern humans (Homo sapiens) are thought to have first evolved in Africa about 200,000 years ago, is in itself a remarkable finding.

"There is some potential ochre use earlier than this but Pinnacle Point is much the best context. There is a lot of red ochre and the colour is very striking," commented Professor Chris Stringer, of London's Natural History Museum, who was not connected with the research team.

"Even if some of it might be having a functional purpose, with that amount and the fact they are selecting this particular colour must have symbolic significance, we think."

ASU palaeoanthropologist Professor Curtis Marean said: "We also found what archaeologists call 'bladelets' - little blades less than 10mm in width, about the size of your little finger.

"These could be attached to the end of a stick to form a point for a spear, or lined up like barbs on a dart - which shows they were already using complex compound tools."
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Being able to conceptualise - the ability to let one thing represent another - was a giant leap in human evolution.

Indeed. This find pushes the date far back into the past. 164,000 ypb is a long time ago.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Ochre

Post by Cognito »

Ochres are viewed as important indicators of advanced behaviour - the use of colour for symbolism. And although the powders can have a functional use, as an ingredient in glue, the persistent choice of the brightest hues suggests some abstract activity is being undertaken, such as body painting.
It has been my view for quite some time that ochre was used for body painting as well as pigment for tattoos - what better way to distinguish yourself in a complex social structure? That image is a far cry from the "caveman" paintings we are contantly bombarded with by retards.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

But a Mossel Bay site has thrown up the oldest known evidence of “modern” human behaviour — evidenced by complex tools and dyes used for rock art. This evidence is 164000 years old — by far the oldest known signs of the kind of collective behaviour considered the hallmark of “modern man”.
Oh dear! Here we go again.
Read just chapter one of the book and then write a review of the whole thing.
The article, if the quotes are accurate, says that as evidence of 'modern behaviour' has been found then of course it must be associated with HSS.
Why!

Roy.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

“Collective behavior”
If you put 2 guys together for more than a day there is going to is some maneuvering to see who is “on top?”
I assume the same for gals.
Now, throw out gender bias and how many do you need for “collective behavior.”
john

Post by john »

kbs2244 wrote:“Collective behavior”
If you put 2 guys together for more than a day there is going to is some maneuvering to see who is “on top?”
I assume the same for gals.
Now, throw out gender bias and how many do you need for “collective behavior.”
kbs224 -

Hell, all I need is me and myself.

Just depends on how many of my multiple personalities

Are operating that day,

To decide if I'm a band,

A tribe,

Or a nation.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

kbs2244 wrote: I assume the same for gals.
No ... that's just a guy thing, KB.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I don’t know about that.
I have seen a few “cat fights.”
The idea of an “alpha female” is not all that strange to me.