Time Magazine Review "Unholy Business"

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

And seeing as how Jacobovici and Hershel Shanks were two who fell for Oded Golan's frauds, I can see where you feel that example is totally valid.

I'd agree with that but Simcha has his own problems with facts.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

Look, I've got to get the last word in here.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Oh.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

:evil:
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

Unholy Business by Nina Burleigh

I finally got hold of this book. Here are my thoughts.

I’m not sure exactly what I expected from this book. Red-hot investigative journalism? A startling exposé of the illegal Middle Eastern trade in archaeological artefacts? An enthralling detective story? The full poop on the James Ossuary? The final verdict on Oded Golan? Did I get any of these things? Well, no, no, no, no, no and no, but not necessarily in that order.

The writer travelled around interviewing people. OK, that’s what journalists do but this particular journalist was rewarded by no deep throats, no scandalous revelations, and achieved no knock-out blows that might have justified her expenses claims. Also, her disclosures relating to the illegal (or at least shady) artefact market is little more than could be gleaned from the existing literature. Any possibility of a narrative-driven detective story is effectively ruined by the lumpy, broken-up way in which she tells the tale. The first half of the book (in fact more than that) contains a few tasty come-ons to the Ossuary/Golan story but otherwise it is mainly an extended menu of characters and places, politics and religion, variously related (or not ) to the high octane cook-house within which the market operates. When she finally gets to the meat of the matter I had lost my appetite.

The investigation and final arrest of Golan is covered, information is given about the official examination of the Ossuary, and some details of the trial. But in all cases it is not enough. Possibly, for that reason, there were times when the police investigation came across as amateurish and verging on the farcical, while aspects of the trial needed to be more fully explored. A particularly interesting element of the trial involved the cross-examination of prosecution witnesses as to their opinions on the Ossuary. It seems clear that the cross-examination raised doubts about claims of forgery and, more tellingly, even raised self-doubts and confusion among the witnesses themselves who, before the trial, were sure of their positions. But again, infuriatingly, not enough detail was provided although it seemed to me that the writer thought this important enough to bring up even though she steered a neutral course through it. Maybe this was because the court proceedings had not come to a close although I was left in limbo here as to whether the trial was over or not - another fault with the book - certainly no verdict was reported (I understand, from other sources, that it is still ongoing).

I came away from this book with an overall sense of the grey/black artefact market in the Middle East, particularly Israel; a knowledge of various players (collectors, scholars, the Israel Antiquities Authority); and the ever-present miasma of religious and political fervour within which the market operates and by which it is largely driven. This last was perhaps the book’s strongest asset.

Burleigh is a good writer (I’m a sucker for straight journalistic prose) but has pitched her content and style at the widest possible market. Because of this her book fails to satisfy. The Golan affair requires a standard of expertise and detail way beyond what was delivered here. This book should prove interesting and useful as a primer. As such it may not appeal to many in this forum.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It probably would have been better for her to wait until the verdict. Every story needs a finish.

-- George Carlin
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

I suppose you have checked out the daily news. The link for the hoax box item is broken. This one works:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 13QHMD.DTL

Looks like your friend Oded is going to get away with it. After reading Burleigh's book this comes as no real surprise.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah....and O.J. is still looking for the "real" killer.

I'm on an e-mail list with a lot of Israeli scholars and they are mainly bitching about the legal system. It does nothing to establish the "authenticity" of any of the artifacts seized from his factory...which the judge seems to have overlooked.

-- George Carlin
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

Don't forget the court is considering specific charges for which these other things may not be directly relevant. The police found a mass of stuff to implicate Golan in villainous activity and he was clearly up to no good but that may not have constituted evidence for the charges for which our boy is being tried. Also, it's amazing what variety of evidence may be disallowed for any number of sound legal reasons. Blaming the legal system sounds a bit desperate to me.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I can only assume the judge is above any revenge inspired firing.
The whole charges thing reeks of politics and personal vendettas.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I hear you, Grump but many of those doing the complaining are Israelis and I guess they have an equal right to complain about their government as we do about our's.

:D

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Grumpage wrote:
Burleigh is a good writer (I’m a sucker for straight journalistic prose) but has pitched her content and style at the widest possible market. Because of this her book fails to satisfy.
Grumps, your writing is also very good. So good, in fact, that I'm becoming convinced you that must be a professional writer of some kind. If you are, you will know the score, and be aware that Burleigh would have had to pitch her book at the widest possible audience. Otherwise, she would have found it difficult to get a decent publisher to give her an advance and to stump up for your aforementioned expense account.
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

The whole charges thing reeks of politics and personal vendettas.
Couldn't agree more + the blow-torch of religion.
many of those doing the complaining are Israelis and I guess they have an equal right to complain about their government as we do about our's.
Not in the face of circumstantial evidence and crumbling prosecution witnesses. Hell, they aren't even sure anymore that the damn box was faked. Archaeological dispute over forgeries is one thing but to bring criminal charges is to go for broke. Going to the law courts is like using an axe instead of a scalpel. The IAA have clearly overreached themselves probably due to all kinds of political pressures and they are no doubt pissed off. However its not over yet but given the judges remarks it has all the appearance of a twitching corpse.
Burleigh would have had to pitch her book at the widest possible audience. Otherwise, she would have found it difficult to get a decent publisher to give her an advance and to stump up for your aforementioned expense account.
Unfortunately true. I guess I was just disappointed. High hopes dashed and all that...
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Historian Antonio Lombatti with a recap of the arguments against authenticity. Translated from Italian and thus a bit awkward in spots, he still gets the point across.

http://www.antoniolombatti.it/B/Blog10- ... suary.html

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Six months more to wait.

I guess that "speedy trial" stuff doesn't apply in Israel!

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... e/ShowFull
The Justice Ministry has been given six months to decide how to proceed in the trial of an antiquities dealer suspected of forging a purported reference to Jesus on an ancient burial box and a stone tablet with biblical passages.

-- George Carlin