Perseids peak tonight

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

dannan14

Perseids peak tonight

Post by dannan14 »

Just in case anyone who is interested in meteor showers didn't know. The actual peak should occur between 1am and 2am PST, but wherever you are on Earth between 11p and dawn will give you the best chance to see the Perseids this year. Of course the moon will be bright tonight, but Perseids are known for their tendency to create fireballs. Enjoy all. You'll be doing something our kind has done for untold generations :D
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Perseids peak tonight

Post by Minimalist »

Figures.

First cloudy day here in 3 weeks.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Try for tomorrow night then, Earth hit the stream a few weeks ago and won't completelly leave it for another few weeks, but tonight and tomorrow night should be the heaviest. Sunday night had some good activity judging by some of the pics on Space.com so it stands to reason that until Thursday or Friday night there will be a few good ones here and there.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Will do.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

The moon was a hindrance, but they shower still showed up with about 20-30 per hour. i had to go back home around 1:15, but i did notice from 12:45 til then there were 5 minute bursts of 1 or 2 per minute. It wasn't the show the Leonids gave in 2001, but it was well worth being so tired at work today.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Solid clouds here last night. Tonight may be better.

-- George Carlin