Seafaring HE vs. Megalodon

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Seafaring HE vs. Megalodon

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Meganthropus Paleojavanicus – an HE subspecies – and the Carcharodon Megalodon super-shark were contemporaries. IF Java was well separated from the SE Asian continental plate, as some maintain, MP would have had to deal with CM's habitat. Their meeting could have been the source for the tale of Jonah.

One wonders what remains of Carcharodon Megalodon, besides teeth, could ever have been found since their, and other sharks' skeletons totally consist of very perishable cartilage. Not bone.
Digit

Re: Seafaring HE vs. Megalodon

Post by Digit »

Or perhaps they used boats!Image

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Or perhaps they used boats!Image
Carcharodon Megalodon ate boats... 8)
That's probably why it went extinct: it starved for lack of boats! :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

They could pretty much eat whatever they wanted, I imagine.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

According to Sartono et al the remains of Meganthropus Paleojavanicus in SE Asia post date Megalodon's extinction, so there was little danger of being eaten by one I think.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:According to Sartono et al the remains of Meganthropus Paleojavanicus in SE Asia post date Megalodon's extinction, so there was little danger of being eaten by one I think.
My data peg MP at 1,57 MYA, and CM's extinction at 1,5 MYA. If one assumes those figures are absolute, then they overlap. Even if they are fuzzy they still overlap. Thus HE/MP and CM coexisted in time. And geographically HE/MP must have negotiated CM's habitat in order to reach Java. Which he did. All that is assuming, as you a.o. do, that Sunda Strait (already) was a deep trench separating Sumatra and Java, and that it was the first deep water that HE/MP crossed on his trek from Africa. (Sounds like reaching to me).

OR HE walked to Java (and waded occassionaly) across the dry SE Asian continental plate/plain. And Sunda Strait, Java Sea, etc., were created later as a result of tectonic/volcanic convulsions (which should surprise no one in that most active of all tectonic/volcanic areas on earth) and 400 feet risen sea levels.
Digit

Post by Digit »

No dispute there RS, but I suggest you check on Sartono's dating, they may have overlapped indeed, but the remains post date Megalodon's extinction.
In exactly the same manner as HE may have reached the Americas 1000s of years ago, but the dated remains say later. Got it?

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:No dispute there RS, but I suggest you check on Sartono's dating, they may have overlapped indeed, but the remains post date Megalodon's extinction.
In exactly the same manner as HE may have reached the Americas 1000s of years ago, but the dated remains say later. Got it?
:lol: Talk about avoiding the point... :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

No I'm not. The point I was making is that the dated material post dates Megalodon's extinction, you could surmise from that, if you wish, that no crossings were sucessful untill after Megalodon went extinct.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:No I'm not. The point I was making is that the dated material post dates Megalodon's extinction, you could surmise from that, if you wish, that no crossings were sucessful untill after Megalodon went extinct.
I covered that with "fuzzy".
And you're still avoiding the point... :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I seem to have missed it, not avoid it.

Roy.