How to share files on this board

Post your tips and helper files here! Uploading, researching information, grant writing, you name it. If it will help someone or if you have a question, here's the place to post.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

How to share files on this board

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Install free 'DropBox' (http://db.tt/qXsCrvx) on your computer. Then everytime you want to share a file (including big-uns) you simply drop it into your DropBox, you copy the provided 'public link', and post that URL here on the board.
Anybody who wants that file simply clicks on it to download it.

Example:
video Human Planet - People of the Trees (213,8MB) - download from http://tinyurl.com/638mmte (expires after a week).
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Re: How to share files on this board

Post by MichelleH »

Nice RS!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Beats Pando all to hell.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Be aware, though, that DropBox' claim to fame is convenience, definitely NOT security! Quite the contrary! Let me explain:

a lot of people have copies of important files and documents in their DropBox. Like credit card, bank account, and passport details, lists of passwords, tax returns, etc. etc. Because it is of course very convenient to have those available even in extreme circumstances when you have nothing else left (like your travel bags have been stolen, or your house has burnt down...). They use DropBox as a virtual 'USB stick', which you therefore cannot physically lose (DUH!), and is consequently always available.

However, you should be aware that, for starters, Messrs. DropBox, Amazon, NSA, CIA, and FBI have full access to whatever you've stuck in your DropBox! Also, those 'clouds'/databases become prime targets for hackers and thieves because of their sensitive content. And databases get lost, stolen, and hacked into all the time of course! Read the paper!

So, yes, DropBox is very convenient, but it is NOT secure! So if you want to stick sensitive documents in there be sure you encrypt those before you drop them in!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Well, I can tell you that I used Dropbox to send a large ( 25+ meg) file to a friend on another board. She reported it came in slowly but it was in fact coming in on the url I provided. The file was too large for my e-mail to accept as an attachment.

Pretty impressive, R/S.

Could be useful if I ever have to send another video file to Arch.

:D
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:She reported it came in slowly
Yes, WeTransfer (https://www.wetransfer.com/) seems about 10 times as fast. But DropBox (http://db.tt/qXsCrvx) is convenient (but don't forget the security angle!)
Minimalist wrote:Could be useful if I ever have to send another video file to Arch.
Or if you ever want to post a documentary here.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Might be a way to overcome those "rights" issues, huh?

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:Might be a way to overcome those "rights" issues, huh?
Just as far as governments – read: regimes – keep the internet open. We've had some graphic examples of massive manipulation, recently, and over the years, haven't we?
So as soon as governments get in league with the digital rights 'owners' (exploiters, more like) that party will be over too.