What Happened to Charlie Hatchett?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

War Arrow

What Happened to Charlie Hatchett?

Post by War Arrow »

Seeing as I'm just down the road from him now, and I remember being impressed by some of the stuff he was digging up as of a couple of years ago, I've been wondering about Charlie. He still has his Texas music website, but didn't respond to a hey, remember me? email I sent to that address. I just looked on here for clues but he seems to have deleted all his posts, which must have taken some doing. Not really interested in the spat (which I just about remember anyway, although I didn't realise he had taken it so badly as to delete his old posts) but is anyone still in touch with him?

Just curious to see how he's doing, plus I promised him a beer way back in the mists of time.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: What Happened to Charlie Hatchett?

Post by Minimalist »

I visited Charlie in Texas a couple of years ago and he was collecting artifacts which eroded out of a hillside in a local creek, not too far from the famous Gault site. As such he was not excavating but was relying on stones which had obvious flake marks, IIRC his standard was six flake marks present and even with that he had an entire dining room table full of such artifacts. We were standing in the creek on top of rocks which were being weathered by the water and those were rounded with no sharp edges and looked completely different from the worked stones that Charlie was gathering.

He was relying on calcium carbonate coatings forming in the flaked channels to determine dating and I have no idea whatever happened with that. I have not heard from him in over a year myself.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

He left after a certain gentleman overstepped the mark with some comments WA.
Greatly missed.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Digit wrote:He left after a certain gentleman overstepped the mark with some comments WA.
Greatly missed.

Roy.
Yes, I recall that exchange. Just a shame that it drove him away seemingly for good. I remember the pictures of what he believed may have been some sort of pit used for smelting metals and I'd love to get to see that thing for real.

Give him our regards if you happen to speak to him again, Min.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yes, he had two small almost square holes in the limestone which he believed were connected. Some guy with the Texas archaeological division told him that they were pits for watering horses.

You have to realize that the pits were 10 feet from the edge of the creek. Why someone would waste time chipping out such a hole when all the horse had to do was walk another 10 feet to all the water he would want was a source of great amusement to both of us.

I may still have photos I took of them. They were a bizarre feature and there is no way they are "natural."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Would love to see those pics again, Min, if there's any chance.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

War Arrow wrote:Would love to see those pics again, Min, if there's any chance.
Hey WA,

I found an old reference to those pics you speak of in another forum. The pics are about 2/3 of the way down the page.

Charlie apparently posted quite a bit in the other forum.

BTW, the discussion pertaining to this subject got pretty heated and degenerated into insult and innuendo. :shock: (par for the course in archaeology circles)
Anyway, below is a link to that forum discussion:

http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/AFW ... Topic/3189
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'll look around W/A.

It was a while ago.......

-- George Carlin