How continents shaped human culture

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

How continents shaped human culture

Post by circumspice »

Boy, this irritates the crap outta me. Here we go again... This article, while interesting, seems to ignore west to east migration in the Americas. Sure, there are significant speed bumps in the road along the way... e.g. the Rockies, the Grand Canyon, the Mississippi River, various deserts, etc. But why does their diffusion map show NO latitudinal migration at all? That map makes it seem like ALL migrations in the Americas dispersed on a North/South axis, with no migrations occurring on an East/West axis.

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php ... an-culture
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
War Arrow

Re: How continents shaped human culture

Post by War Arrow »

Hmmm. See what you mean.

Maybe people arrived in the East by circling the globe seven or eight times in a longitudinal direction until they ended up wherever they wanted to go.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Perhaps all those Clovis and pre-Clovis sites on the East Coast are figments of our imagination?

And, how could I miss pointing out that there is no reason why Asians could not have coasted to the Americas in the same way Dennis Stanford has proposed for the Solutrean hypothesis ( and with a lot less distance!). Why walk when you can sail?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

The winds and currents would blow the boats in an East-West direction over open water but in a North or South direction along the coast.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The north pacific current could do a lot of work.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Why walk when you can sail?
It's a good thing RS isn't here as I would go as far as to suggest that man's migration only got going after he developed water craft.
I should be remembered, I think, that Africa has some very large lakes, ideal proving grounds for seamanship.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Had even more of them when the Sahara was a grassland as opposed to a desert, too.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

And shell fish don't fight back! The shore lines would have been a happy hunting ground.
OOA or into Africa would have meant water craft, most likely developed on those lake and rivers.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Did you ever wonder what the first guy to eat a lobster was thinking?

"Wow - I'll bet that's great with melted butter."

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Or perhaps, 'where did I leave the tin opener'?

Roy.