Low tech ideas can mitigate climate change?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Low tech ideas can mitigate climate change?

Post by circumspice »

Since we've been discussing global warming more than any other subject of late... :?

I'm preparing to lay out what I fatuously hope will be a highly sustainable, low water/low maintenance garden and orchard. :shock:

I have researched innumerable ideas, from myriad sources. One of the ideas I plan to use, I saw here first! :) (straw bale gardening)

Anyway, another idea I found comes from the Blog of an Australian gardener. One of the links on the blog goes to a website called Waterright.
They make an interesting claim... I'd be interested in what y'all think of this claim. I plan to trial this particular method, but not for the reasons
the website states.

So, without any further ado, here are some links & a copy/paste of the website's introductory message. (mission statement?)
(I haven't found much about Colin Austin that he hasn't written & published about himself... So I don't know whether or not he is credible.)

A link about carbon sequestering, by Waterright: http://www.climatechange.gov.au/governm ... rright.pdf

The website: http://waterright.com.au/index.html

About this site
Colin Austin 10 May 2011

Some thirty five years ago Australia suffered tremendous dust storms losing millions of tonnes of top soil. I realized at some time in the future top soil would be critical for feeding the world and set up a series of experiments to find out how to regenerate top soil (soil_regeneration). I learned that the key was microbiological action which required keeping the ground moist at all times and continuously growing plants.

We now know that the mycorrhizal fungi take energy from the plants and form aggregates the soil so it can better hold water and nutrients. I searched for better ways of keeping the soil moist (but not saturated) which lead to the development of the wicking bed system. This has proved very popular with environmentally sensitive and water conscious growers. wicking_bed_technology.pdf

However the threat of global warming made me realize that this system has the potential to mitigate climate change by absorbing large amounts of atmospheric carbon. I therefore had to develop a way for using wicking beds on a large scale. This was achieved by linking wicking beds together, (adoption). However for the wide scale usage necessary to absorb the tens of billions of tones needed to offset man made emissions meant that farmer had to receive revenues from carbon trading. innovation_in soil_carbon.pdf

This requires convincing Governemnts, at the various United Nations conference on climate change to recognize that by changing our agricultural system we can both absorb carbon and also safeguard our future food supply. We are already seeing how the flood and drought cycles of climate change are damaging agriculture and leading to rising food prices.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Digit

Re: Low tech ideas can mitigate climate change?

Post by Digit »

Move here, we've water enough for all! :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Digit wrote:Move here, we've water enough for all! :lol:

Roy.
TOO COLD!!! I'm thin blooded. :shock:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If things keep going the way they are you'll have palm trees in Wales in short order, Dig.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Good, I prefer warmth to cold, remember Min, the planet is currently colder than at any time in millions of years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Five_ ... Change.svg

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hey, I moved to Arizona because I was tired of the cold. Who knew I'd have to put up with a bunch of right-wing morons just to get warm?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

They're all over!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So it seems....but here they get elected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UIXtmiJcc

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

More on the subject of agriculture.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 175919.htm
Farmers of 800-Years-Ago Could Teach Us How to Protect the Amazon -- With Raised Farming Beds

-- George Carlin