But Still Clinging to the "Land Bridge"

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

But Still Clinging to the "Land Bridge"

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 134710.htm
ScienceDaily (July 11, 2012) — Scientists have found that Native American populations -- from Canada to the southern tip of Chile -- arose from at least three migrations, with the majority descended entirely from a single group of First American migrants that crossed over through Beringia, a land bridge between Asia and America that existed during the ice ages, more than 15,000 years ago.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Re: But Still Clinging to the "Land Bridge"

Post by kbs2244 »

"to the southern tip of Chile "
?????
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Damn long walk, ain't it?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
hardaker

Post by hardaker »

THIS JUST IN:

The Clovis First Theory is put to rest at Paisley Caves

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 071112.php
While I tend to believe Clovis First was killed off forty years ago, it has stayed alive as an unkillable zombie theory, the worst kind. But the anal retentive Clovis Firsties have apparently lost their colonic battle, and proven wrong by human do-do.
Happy days.
Chris Hardaker
The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World [ https://www.amazon.com/First-American-S ... 1564149420 ]
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

hardaker

Post by hardaker »

hotdamn! thanks. missed that one.
Chris Hardaker
The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World [ https://www.amazon.com/First-American-S ... 1564149420 ]
hardaker

Post by hardaker »

Great video. Stanford did a fantastic job.
Chris Hardaker
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He makes a compelling case. Check out the "Grumble" thread I just started. 14,000 year old pre-Clovis points in Oregon....and then they tell us nothing about the points!

Argh.

-- George Carlin
countrcultur

Post by countrcultur »

This is from a recent related study. Trying to get a hold of the whole study.

"It is now widely agreed that the Native American founders originated from a Beringian source population ∼15–18 thousand years ago (kya) and rapidly populated all of the New World, probably mainly following the Pacific coastal route. However, details about the migration into the Americas and the routes pursued on the continent still remain unresolved, despite numerous genetic, archaeological, and linguistic investigations. To examine the pioneering peopling phase of the South American continent, we screened literature and mtDNA databases and identified two novel mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) clades, here named D1g and D1j, within the pan-American haplogroup D1. They both show overall rare occurrences but local high frequencies, and are essentially restricted to populations from the Southern Cone of South America (Chile and Argentina). We selected and completely sequenced 43 D1g and D1j mtDNA genomes applying highest quality standards. Molecular and phylogeographic analyses revealed extensive variation within each of the two clades and possibly distinct dispersal patterns. Their age estimates agree with the dating of the earliest archaeological sites in South America and indicate that the Paleo-Indian spread along the entire longitude of the American double continent might have taken even <2000 yr. This study confirms that major sampling and sequencing efforts are mandatory for uncovering all of the most basal variation in the Native American mtDNA haplogroups and for clarification of Paleo-Indian migrations, by targeting, if possible, both the general mixed population of national states and autochthonous Native American groups, especially in South America."
uniface

Post by uniface »

It's funny, the way that the newest "discoveries" that get published always essentially buttress the most entrenched beliefs.
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Greetings,

This being my first post, I will simply espouse that this subject is my personal area of great interest. Through the years I have accumulated a fair number of volumes relating to the Peopling of the Americas plus a collection of papers going back to the thirties. I am a member of CSFA, GSA, and the AGU.

I have read Across Atlantic Ice and find Stanford and Bradley's theory very intriguing, but they admit that they do not have a "smoking gun". What I feel is needed is an in situ human skeleton in a well stratified, datable geologic context of an appropriate time period with sundadonty teeth; an associated lithic would be nice too.

The Cinmar find is also fascinating.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right question.

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
John Strong Newberry; 1873
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Farpoint wrote:Greetings,

This being my first post, I will simply espouse that this subject is my personal area of great interest. Through the years I have accumulated a fair number of volumes relating to the Peopling of the Americas plus a collection of papers going back to the thirties. I am a member of CSFA, GSA, and the AGU.

I have read Across Atlantic Ice and find Stanford and Bradley's theory very intriguing, but they admit that they do not have a "smoking gun". What I feel is needed is an in situ human skeleton in a well stratified, datable geologic context of an appropriate time period with sundadonty teeth; an associated lithic would be nice too.

The Cinmar find is also fascinating.
Welcome to Archaeologica Farpoint!
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Greetings, Farpoint....

You remind of that song by the Rolling Stones.... "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Still, it is good to have a goal and perhaps someday you will be rewarded.

-- George Carlin
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Thank you

Let's fire this thing up.

Paisley cave

La Sena (Holen)

Cactus Hill

Topper

Page-Ladson

Meadowcroft

Monte Verde

?BOATS?

?Ice Free Corridor?

Adovasio

Firestone

E. J. Dixon

Stanford

Meltzer

Holliday

Lepper

Tankersley

Grayson

Collins

M. R. Waters

And any other site or researcher.

Let's Roll

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Let's throw one more thing into the mix for the time period under discussion:

A 190‰ drop in atmosphere's Δ14C during the “Mystery Interval” (17.5 to 14.5 kyr)

By Wallace Broecker et. al.

The radio carbon "plateau" issue